Strange Boot Behavior

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by luciano991, Nov 11, 2007.

1. luciano991

luciano991 Private E-2

Hello,

I have been setting up my TigerDirect barebones system and have some strange boot problems. I've got an AMD Athlon 64 3500+ on an MSI K9MM-V board with a gig of ram, a Lite On DVD burner and a 200GB Maxtor. All peripherals are on board. I got Windows XP Pro installed but when I boot, I get about a one minute hang on the splash screen during which time I have no keyboard function. Then the hard drive and DVD Rom are discovered but it hangs on that screen for about a minute. Then, if the XP CD is in the DVD drive then I just ignore the "Hit any key to boot from CD, and the system boots right up into Windows. If the CD is not in the Drive, I get a Boot Disk Failure error. I have tried setting the BIOS to optimum defaults but that has not solved the problem. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Luciano:confused

2. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

Go into bios [setup] and change boot order to hard drive, not on post screen. ed

3. luciano991

luciano991 Private E-2

Ed,

Thanks for the reply.This did not solve the problem. Any other suggestions?

Mark:cry

4. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

5. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

You should also reset bios to default settings, not optimum default, if not sure, unplug power suppy, remove mother board battery for a few minutes, hold down on-off button for a few seconds, reinstall and try again. ed

6. Yargwel

Yargwel MajorGeek

The fact that it boots from the CD and not from the HD indicates the OS isn't (properly) installed on the HD. This is why tunered was asking whether the HD was new. ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds