Advice about Video Card needed please.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by darksideuser, Dec 14, 2009.

1. darksideuser

darksideuser Private E-2

Hey all,

Have a custom build comp that is about 2 years old. Wanting to do some upgrades. Thinking about starting with the vid card unless ya'll have some other ideas. Details are below:

Windows 7 Ultimate 32 bit ACPI x86-based
    Nvidia GeForce 7950 GT 512MB card X 1
    ASUS P5N E-SLI
    Intel Core 2 Duo 6700 @ 2.66 ghz
    TV Tuner card
    4 GB Ram
    250 GB main drive
    1 tb data drive
    Nvidia nForce 10/100/1000 Mbps Ethernet copntroller
    Sony DVD RW
    Litescribe DVD RW
    650 w power supply

The only thing im not clear on with choosing a card is two things: 1. Benefits of sli and what do i need besides the cable and two identical cards, such as is 2 512 cards better than 1 1gb card. and 2. How do i know which card will work with my motherboard?

In addition, same above questions regarding a processor upgrade

Thanks all,
    DSU

2. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

I think a 260 or 275 would be an nice upgrade for your system.

3. darksideuser

darksideuser Private E-2

260 or 275 what?

4. geekahertz

geekahertz Private E-2

This is a big if but if you have money to burn and 2 slots right next to each other get a gtx 295. I did and i could not be happier. This card rocks and never takes a hit on performance no matter what game I throw at it. Its gotten to the point that I barely look at the box to see the minimum system requirements.

P.S. This card is a duel gpu card so u don't have to worry about cross cables. It is a beast to fit in any case though so if space is an issue then don't get it. Also i had to take a divider out of the back of my case so that i could get it to fit right too.

5. darksideuser

darksideuser Private E-2

Drooling right now. Dont have that kinda money to burn though but wish I did lol. Looking around the 150 range (x2 if i sli i guess). But my main questions are how do i know what processors or vid cards are compatible with my board?

DSU

6. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

7. darksideuser

darksideuser Private E-2

8. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Here's the eVGA GTX 260-216 that I have, it needs a pair of extra 6-pin power connections so if your PSU has this then you should be OK if it's a good brand, post up the make and model.

I haven't studied your mobo but you might have to update your BIOS/chipset to run that quad, just be careful to follow exact directions of which should be done first.

9. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

That CPU is on your board supported list so it should work.

What brand is your PSU.

10. darksideuser

darksideuser Private E-2

Well for some reason I can't edit edit my posts so I'm re-posting. Edited some detail info with model numbers and stuff.

Hey all,

Have a custom build comp that is about 2 years old. Wanting to do some upgrades. Thinking about starting with the vid card unless ya'll have some other ideas. Details are below:

ASUS P5N E-SLI
    TV Tuner card
    GEIL 1 GB DDR2 800 1.8 V 5-5-5-15 X 4
    Hitachi HDT722525 7200rpm 250 GB main drive
    Samsung 10103UT 7200rpm 1 TB data drive
    Sony DVD RW
    Litescribe DVD RW
    Linkworld LPG2-43-P4-IO 630W ATX12V Power Supply
    CoolerMaster Liquid Cooling

The only thing im not clear on with choosing a card is two things: 1. Benefits of sli and what do i need besides the cable and two identical cards, such as is 2 512 cards better than 1 1gb card. and 2. How do i know which card will work with my motherboard?

In addition, same above questions regarding a processor upgrade

Thanks all,
    DSU

11. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

Can you tell us what brand is your power supply?

12. darksideuser

darksideuser Private E-2

It's listed above in the updated details. It's a quick replace for when my main one went out. They didn't have much selection and I had to finish finals last semester lol. It's a Linkworld 630W

13. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

14. fatjake440

fatjake440 Private E-2

if i was u, i would upgrade the RAM along with ur vid card, especially for gaming, 2-4gb is a good amount. plus, for about 150$ u can go 2 ways, either the nivida http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4352340&CatId=3669 very cool card, and room for OC, or the ATI http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=5316155&CatId=3669 , great card, very nice, but can get hot, but a case with a side fan will fix that, and the amount of stream proccercers on ati cards really help for lots of detail in games.

15. darksideuser

darksideuser Private E-2

I already have 4gb of ram so more interested in card and/or cpu right now

16. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

I would spend a bit more and get a 200 series card.

17. fatjake440

fatjake440 Private E-2

o sorry didnt se the x4 XD

18. darksideuser

darksideuser Private E-2

19. darksideuser

darksideuser Private E-2

No prob fatjake ;)

20. fatjake440

fatjake440 Private E-2

what are you going to be doing most on the computer? gaming, video editing? web surfing? will help the fourm better decide on a card for u.

21. darksideuser

darksideuser Private E-2

Mostly gaming

22. fatjake440

fatjake440 Private E-2

then i would go with a nvidia card unless you play games with lots of little details like World of warcraft, go with an ati card.

23. darksideuser

darksideuser Private E-2

Lol WoW is mainly what I play

24. darksideuser

darksideuser Private E-2

25. fatjake440

fatjake440 Private E-2

how is that ati? its a 200 series nvidia card, and for that much u can get a 4890, or a 5770. and scince thats your main game, i suggest picking up an ati card, will get u to run the game at maxx detail no problem, like i said the stream proccecers are wonderful for that type of stuff, and if u care, .... Phatjake/phathealz/phatmage-Hydraxis-alliance, mage blows, buut others not horribly geared,

26. darksideuser

darksideuser Private E-2

I know it's nvidia. That's the one i'll get if i go nvidia. I was asking for advice on an ati card with similar stats and price.

27. fatjake440

fatjake440 Private E-2

o well for the simalar price you can get a 4890 or a 5770, 4890 is top of the line last generation of ati cards, still good, but the 5000 seris is the new stuff, so i would say the 5770 if u plan on upgrading within the next 2-3 years, 489- if u dont

28. darksideuser

darksideuser Private E-2

29. fatjake440

fatjake440 Private E-2

no need to upgrade your PSU unless your going to sli 2 of those cards, 650w is good unless your rocking like 6 hdd and 4 opticals with 12 fans..... nice GPU though, really wish i had the cash to get a new ati card, my 4890 xxx busted and wasnt covered by warrenty any longer so i had to take on of my friends 8800 GTX+, not happy but whatever. But that card is very nice, room for overclocking, cant comment on the CPU, dont do intel myself, but for cheaper, you could get a quad core 3.4 ghz amd black edtion. but what ever, your choice. ever need any other help, just post or PM.

30. darksideuser

darksideuser Private E-2

Thanks a bunch for all the help!:-D

31. fatjake440

fatjake440 Private E-2

no problem

32. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

Just as a ward of advice if you do need to upgrade your PSU i would say away form Rosewill. They are re-branders that sell low qaulity power supplies at retail prices.

33. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

Just as another word of advice your motherboard is a Nvidia SLI motherboard NOT ATI Corssfire. If you try and setup corssfire on that nvidia board you could break stuff. SLI is Nvidia card NOT ati cards.

So you are only able to run one ATI card two ati cards without corssfire and that would be a waste.

34. darksideuser

darksideuser Private E-2

Both comments highly appreciated pclover

35. darksideuser

darksideuser Private E-2

Ok, maybe changing a few things. Just for followup, I have the following:

ASUS P5N E-SLI
    TV Tuner card
    4 GB Ram
    250 GB main drive
    1 tb data drive
    Sony DVD RW
    Litescribe DVD RW
    630 Linkworld PSU

Want this most of all:

Vid Card upgrade (AMD for little graphics, I'm a gamer in WoW and Star Trek Online)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814102858&cm_re=5770-_-14-102-858-_-Product
    unless someone has a better idea for sli option. I know I can't crossfire two ati cards on this board.

Thinking about this as a CPU update unless someone can tell me how to determine what the most powerful AMD cpu my motherboard will support is (Can only find intels listed as supported on asus' site; they dont list any supported amd)
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16819115060

When I update the CPU I wanna go 64 bit win 7. Is the CPU the only thing that needs to be replaced to do this or is it motherboard related? And how do I determine if the one I linked above is 64 bit?

If I need to upgrade the PSU I have this in mind unless someone has a better idea:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817121037

Wanna save money where possible but I still want to get the most for my buck. So I don't have to replace the PSU to upgrade the vid card and/or cpu that'd be great. Any help would be great!

DSU

Last edited: Jan 12, 2010
  36. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Intel motherboards do not support AMD CPU's and vice-versa. You're stuck with Intel unless you change your mobo. Then you may have to buy DDR3 RAM depending on which mobo you choose. You are basically looking at a brand new machine now which I doubt is what you want.

37. darksideuser

darksideuser Private E-2

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds