RAM issues, PC3200 and PC3200r

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by flywelder, Jan 22, 2010.

1. flywelder

flywelder Private E-2

I have a older Dell computer with Windows XP. The board has just two memory slots. I currently have 512 MB of PC3200 DDR400 Ram. I would like to increase that. I went shopping on line, and found a brand new 1 Gig of PC3200 DDR 400 RAM.
    When the new RAM arrived i observed that the label says, 1Gig. PC3200r DDR400 Is there any difference between 3200 and 3200r. ?

I called the company that i bought the RAM from and they said there would be no compatibility problem, and she didn't know what the r stood for?

When I installed the new RAM along with my 512 and my computer will not boot, it just beeps.?

I have tried the new one, alone in the same slot as the old. It beeps and won't boot.

I tried my old 512 alone, and the computer boots up.

Might I need the same amount in both slots? I have only 2 slots.

Also, The new (1 Gig) is only 1/2 inch high while
    the old 512 is 1 inch high. Is that the problem?

Flywelder

2. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

Well it looks like PC3200 & PC3200r are both 184 pin so no prob there. Go to link below and you will find PC3200r listed, if you have the part number ready you can look up your actual RAM and see if the old and the new are equal. http://components.alldatasheet.net/datasheet/P-32.html

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  3. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

I'm going to ask Mimsy to check this; she is an expert on RAM. I just read her posts and try to learn.

My thoughts, which could very well be totally wrong is that the r means it is ECC memory. Servers use ECC memory. Your computer requires non-ECC memory and that's why the new stick won't work.

4. studiot

studiot MajorGeek

I'm sorry to tell you that you probably have a high density memory module.

High density means modern technology can squash more memory into fewer chips. Fewer chips makes the boards cheaper to produce and sell.

Unfortunately many older memory controllers cannot address these chips.

You need to make sure any memory you buy is low density so send these back and get some low density ones, then you will be OK.

Yes you can find 1 and even 2G low density ones.

But be warned the low density ones are more expensive.

5. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Hopefully,the place has a return policy.
    If from eBay, you could be stuck with them.

6. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

Bingo.

PC3200R usually means "PC3200 Registered", making it Registered ECC. That's not just regular ECC, that's ECC on steroids. Dell desktop computers have no idea how to use ECC, and that's why it's beeping. The beeps are an error code meaning "RAM error", the computer is in its own limited way trying to tell you what the problem is. It's just that since it is a computer, it's not really good at being detailed and eloquent. :)

flywelder, if you post the part numbers from the new and the old RAM I can look them up and make sure that's the problem. If you post the full model number of the Dell (like "dimension 4500" or "optiplex 320") I'll go find some compatible parts for you and post links to them here. We'll figure this out.

Oh, and about the height, that means your new is on a low-profile circuit board. They are almost exclusively used for server memory...

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds