Tablet with Ethernet?

Discussion in 'Software' started by PrivatePile, Apr 3, 2012.

1. PrivatePile

PrivatePile Private E-2

So I was wondering if anyone has seen/used a tablet that has an ethernet port, or even a USB adapter to Ethernet would work fine. While it may sound oxymoronic to have a tablet that is tied down to a cable, let me explain my use. I work for a network consulting company. I would like to get an android tablet for my wireless assessments, as a tablet is much easier to carry around office buildings than my 15.6" 6.5lb laptop. What I was thinking, is that I also currently will SSH or console into a box during initial setup, so wouldn't it be convenient to do from the tablet as well! Anyone heard or used such a thing?

2. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Majority out there are wifi only. The whole tether to a cord with ethernet does not make it portable.

3. UKARMYCADET

UKARMYCADET Corporal

4. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Umn no, what you posted was a link to Wireless routers, and notebooks with ethernet ports. Sorry, but tethering a teblet like a nook, Kindle, iPad, etc defeats the purpose of being portable.

5. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

android tablet with ethernet port search.

While there are USB > Ethernet adapters out there, I think you might need to roll your own drivers to get them to work on android.

6. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

satrow, did you or the OP even click on any of the links in the google searches you both posted? No where in any of the details of the equipment you both searched on, have a ethernet port. As for USB drivers, it still defeats the purpose of having a tablet.

The only device that would have a ethernet port, would be a convertible, and even then wired ethernet is going to be one of those ports going bye-bye by 2013 if the manufacturers come through, due to what MS is trying to push, otherwise you may see it for another year or two after, if they feel that the legacy wired ethernet port should stay. You are starting to finally see desktops with onboard wifi-N/G/B.

7. satrow

satrow Major Geek Extraordinaire

@ brownizs:

Top link on my search is http://www.amazon.com/10-2-SuperpadVI-FlytouchVC882-X220-Android/dp/B0067H9JMU
    I'm not sure your comments are relevant to the OP.

8. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Again, it defeats the purpose of a tablet. Tablets are meant to be portable, not tethered. I do not really consider that as a tablet, more like a touchscreen.

9. UKARMYCADET

UKARMYCADET Corporal

Hey Brownizs,

I fully understand your comment but we are here to help the OP. The OP clearly states

"So I was wondering if anyone has seen/used a tablet that has an ethernet port"

We have both gone onto the internet and found "...a tablet that has an ethernet port"

The OP then goes onto state that;

"While it may sound oxymoronic to have a tablet that is tied down to a cable," and even admitted the user basically wants a lighter variant of a mid screen laptop.

We have supplied the requested information as a result. Everyone understands is defies all logic to tether a tablet down to Ethernet. But OP asked and we gave :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds