I give up!!!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by w00t, Sep 20, 2004.

1. w00t

w00t Private E-2

After reformatting twice and manually removing viruses and spyware my pc is finally running normally, with the exception of my connection all of a sudden becomming very erratic. I'm a gamer(RTCW-ET), and now when I connect to servers my ping jumps from a normal 40 too 600. Major packet loss issues. Internet seems to be running normal, ISP says everything looks normal aside from packet loss. Bandwidth checks good, ineternet explorer runs at normal speed and pages are opening at normal cable speeds. I've tried a winsox fix without any results.

All I want to know is why my ping is so terrible too other ips and where is this packet loss comming from??? I give up...

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

If it exists past reformats, then it must be hardware or ISP related. Bandwidth speed being good is all relative. Are you certain you aren't getting packet loss?

Packet loss=death to online games.

Have you tried a different modem?

3. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

What connection type is it... if its DSL you can get a "gain boost" which should help stop packet loss which you can ask of the telephone provider.

And also do what Adryn says ;)

4. w00t

w00t Private E-2

The modem is very new ( motorola sb5100).

Adrynalyne, do you think the viruses I had could have done hardware damage? And if so what should I look at to fix?

"Packet loss=death to online games." <<< so true and frusterating as hell.

5. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

No, I don't think a virus would do that.

Go to lax.speakeasy.net and post your bandwidth test results.

What are you rated for?

6. w00t

w00t Private E-2

I'm Canadian so I cant fill the required fields, but Cnet gives me this;

2529.4 Kbps - You 2529.4 kbps

7. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

You don't need to fill anything in, just hit the start button.

And again, what connection type do you have..

8. w00t

w00t Private E-2

The page must not be showing properly because I see no
    start button. Anyway my connection is cable. thx

9. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Sounds like the java applet isnt loading. Do you have a grey square on the page.

But it matters not. Viruses probably have not have done hardware damage, but its possible they are causing packet loss (unlikley, but it is possible).

If you can, try another modem (borrowed from a friend, maybe). That way you can rule out the modem. It might even be the drivers for the modem. Bear in mind it isn't impossible that the modem came damaged from the factory.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds