Can’t access Hotmail or Google

Discussion in 'Software' started by Ruebarb, Aug 11, 2005.

1. Ruebarb

Ruebarb Private First Class

Randomly last week my, Gf’s pc wouldn’t let her access hotmail or Google with IE or Firefox. She gets a server timed out issue for both sites. I have verified with her that she did not update or install anything new prior to this. I know she’s not alone with this problem, I’ve done a bunch of Google searches and it appears recently a bunch of people are having this odd problem, but yet to identify a solution.

I had her run ccleaner, no luck their. She ran Norton and ad aware pro. Window’s firewall is active. I have verified in IE that “submit unencrypted form data” is enabled. I also went to the “Hosts” file in c:\windows\system32\Drivers\etc and cleaned that out, full of crap from previous Trojan/spyware.

The only thing I haven’t verified is her router settings. She has a Linksys wireless router with WEP and MAC filtering, though unlikely someone hacked in to blocked access to those sites I can’t verify till I go over next.

Suddenly yesterday she can access Google, but still gets a server time out from Hotmail. Any suggestions?

Thanks

Dell P4 2.4 Ghz
    512 DDR
    XP Home

2. Ruebarb

3. Ruebarb

Bump Bump, I'm losing faith on a resovle to this issue... Anyone?

4. 20Valve

20Valve Sergeant

Maybe try to clear the internet cache. Your computer might be storing bad addresses for those particular sites. That could be a leftover effect from cleared spyware and stuff.

5. theefool

theefool Geekified

6. Ruebarb

Ccleaner cleans the cache, temp, history ect, very long list.

Well, this morning my GF can suddenly get to Hotmail again, she didn't make any changes. This one is odd, I'll just have to throw this up to the workmanship of Microsoft and the numerous unexplainable problems inherent in windows.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds