HP Laptop shuts down/overheats

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by MrOC, Sep 2, 2007.

1. MrOC

MrOC Private E-2

I have a HP laptop zv6203cl it has worked fine up to about 4 months ago when is started shutting off suddenly. I have reinstalled windows, partitioned my hard drive, and physically cleaned the laptop inside and it still shuts down:confused. The strange thing is it only shuts down when plugged in to the wall. Off the batteries the laptop runs just fine. The problem has gotten worse i cant even visit web pages with too many pictures ie. myspace while plugged in with out having it turn off on me. I can't do any thing remotely heavy like play music while plugged in. I am not much of a computer wiz so any help would be very appreciated.

2. BCGray

BCGray Guest

You might want to try this utility program for Major Geeks called Everest it will give you your Temperatures, plus a whole lot more link http://www.majorgeeks.com/download.php?det=4181

From the initial description I would say that you might have a faulty PSU, especially if the problem is not there with the batteries. Hope that Helps

3. MrOC

MrOC Private E-2

Dumb question but what is a "PSU"

4. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

Power suppy, but, if the power supply would shut down, the pc should continue to run off of the battery, I believe you have a bad cpu fan not working. Go to control panel- power options- and set it to portable-laptop. When it is on this setting the processer will make less heat and maybe let it run without the fan, still needs to be fixed tho. ed

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds