connecting two wireless laptops for home network

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by doublejj, Jan 6, 2009.

1. doublejj

doublejj Private E-2

would like to set home network between two laptops that already have wireless and internet (time warner). i would like to use program in girlfriends laptop to help her with homebusiness, (inputting data,updating customers,) from my computor while she uses her laptop too. i have looked on the internet and here but im lost.....:-o...:confused

she came to u folks a couple of months ago with some virus problems and ya'll where very helpful......can u help again........:major

2. foogoo

foogoo Major "foogoo" Geek

I believe what your looking for is called 'terminal services' I know Citrix is used in the Corp setting for users to share an app.. but this subject is expensive (no open source alts, sry) & more complicated than I can explain.

If you both were not using the app at the same time & the app was 'portable' (ie ran for the install folder, no reg entries, etc) then she could share the folder and you could possibly run it when she is not.

3. buggabear

buggabear MajorGeek

http://logmein.com
    Log me in has a remote access feature in it's service that allows users to share files back and forth and work real time on the others computer however this version is not free. They also have a free version that allows you to work on the others computers but you cannot drop and drag file between the two.

4. pari22

pari22 Corporal

Guys, I think she's talking about file sharing. If you're truly trying to share "program" (as in application), you could use terminal services or remote desktop. Of course these things have limitations and need to be configured.
    doublejj, can you give us some more info? What Operating Systems do you use? Do you need to access your friends files? or do you really need to use her laptop's programs because you don't have the same program? Is your home LAN setup? ... well, let's start there..

5. doublejj

doublejj Private E-2

pari22,

we both are using win xp home edtion,both are wireless laptops,yes she has a program on her laptop that i would to use on my laptop,i could load the program into my laptop BUT i wouldnt have access to the daily data input.which is a home based company she has and data is put into it almost everyday...new customers,purchases,ordering, new appointments,etc.

so essentially i would like to input data from my laptop to her laptop program, while she is using her laptop for other things. i have tried to set up "computor to computor" network but when i try and connect to network i dont have "key" ascii,hexadeciaml keys.

THX,:-D :-D

6. pari22

pari22 Corporal

OK. we're moving on now. I think file sharing is the best way to go here. This will work only if you're in your friend's network first, so let's setup LAN.
    1. You need to connect to your friend's wired/wireless network first. If you need the security key for the router, you need to ask your friend for it.
    2. Install the program on your laptop. This will make both of your life easier.
    3. On your friends laptop, enable "File/Folder sharing" for the desired destination(folder that contains the file). if you need to know how to do this, let me know.
    4. Setup security on the "shared folder".
    5. From your laptop, connect to your friend's laptop by clicking "Start" - "Run". and type in: \\*your friends laptop name, or ip*. For example: \\laptop1
    6. You should be able to see the folder you want to share. Depending on the programs, you could either double click the file or open the file from your laptop's program.

7. doublejj

doublejj Private E-2

:-o i have full access to girlfriend's laptop.. we have laptops in same residence, what is the security code i need? we use the same router to connect to the internet.also couldn't find the file/folder sharing..under the program on her laptop... so i guess i need more help than i thought..

:cry:cry:cry

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds