Norton Antivirus creating excessive files in Windows/Temp folder

Discussion in 'Software' started by klpruitt, Jun 5, 2009.

1. klpruitt

klpruitt Private E-2

Receiving frequent and ongoing calls from users with out of space issue.
    Investigation revealed numerous files in the Windows/Temp folder with a
    naming convention like "00007aef", no extension. If you open file it looks
    like garbled nonsense but consistently contains "The program was unable to
    execute in DOS mode" in first line of the file. Files range in size from
    7000-25000kb with numerous files being created during the scan process and
    is using up user's hard drive space in as little as six months. I was able
    to create the scenario on my PC by running Antivirus manually, but not consistently. Only constant was it would always create the temp file if I scanned my C: drive but not other drives. I then rebooted my PC, ran Antivirus but this time the files were NOT created (arggggh). We have beat our heads against the wall all week on this issue so if anyone can shed any light on what could be causing this we would be very grateful. Very frustrating and is eating up too much of our time supporting the problem. I
    should note that we are running corporate version of Antivirus 2004 pushed from a 2003 Server.

2. klpruitt

klpruitt Private E-2

Thanks for the welcome Dom! I did post on the Norton forum but just found out I need to post at the Corporate forum and was given the link. Will post there also and hoping between here and there someone has seen this problem before.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds