Ubuntu Freeze on install

Discussion in 'Software' started by zapp, Jul 24, 2008.

1. zapp

zapp Staff Sergeant

trying Ubuntu as workaround
    got the most up to date iso ver.
    successful CD
    boot CD in a winxp Pro ill-fated system
    boot goes ok
    except, when choosing any selection [run with no changes, install, whatever] the Kernel Install claims it goes to 100% but at that point all bets off. system is frozen. no keys functional.

any clues?
    thx
    z

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

What was ill fated about the XP install?

3. zapp

zapp Staff Sergeant

thx for responding.... i despair.
    to go back: HP Pavilion dv5117 laptop with factory software. little-used. the owner says they shut lid during a win update. lovely.
    thought it would be a quick fix but nothing works.
    if you chase the original install, you get endless one file after another "corrupt or missing.... please replace".
    so give up and do parallel install.
    all parallels fail to boot properly - three of them end in an enternal loop going back to blue 'setup' screen then rebooting.
    chkdsk /r required overnight to run. "corrected errors".... so.....

in the interim while these multi-hour affairs are running I download knoppix, ubuntu, and go to geek store to get hardware mounting stuff to set drive as slave to other XP system for fetching files. Odd Toshiba HD mechanical that nothing fits!!! jumper block at end of ide connector pins. odd use of pins period. smart guy at store says "give it up"
    great.....

so, the XP installation that demands an Admin password is number 4 including the original. its the only one that actually booted to a GUI and a request to login. but it thinks its a Domain Controller or something.... looking for a pwd. none was ever set.

i'll try a fifth, sixth, seventh parallel I guess . no other hope

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

You have some hardware failure going on there.

I'd do a memtest overnight and see what errors come up.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds