Computer crashed-Transferring files to new computer

Discussion in 'Software' started by Oldern, Feb 27, 2012.

1. Oldern

Oldern Private E-2

:-oApologies if this is in wrong forum.

My old computer (XP) died and I am getting a replacement (Windows 7, Home). I pulled the old C Drive off and temporarily attached it to a laptop through a HDD Docking Caddy (not sure of terminology). I'm limping along on laptop accessing some critical data. My data is also backed up through Carbonite. I wonder about the following:

Install current C drive on new computer (as a slave drive?) and transfer data direct to new drive.

Download data from Carbonite (may take a long time-250 GB).

Use HDD caddy mentioned above and transfer data to new computer with USB.

Install C drive in a second desktop and use something like PC Mover to transfer data to new computer.

There may be more elegant ways of getting my “stuff” onto the new computer. If so, lay it on me. I am reading the posts I can find which deal with this problem. Your suggestions, comments, and tips (especially about getting programs back) will be greatly appreciated. One post I read reminded me that any programs downloaded from the internet (and still available) could be unzipped and installed on the new machine using Windows 7.

I knew a lot about computers but alas, I forgot a lot.

Oldern

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds