issue restoring factory settings

Discussion in 'Software' started by papajay, Oct 22, 2008.

1. papajay

papajay Private E-2

Hi

I'm new here and was wondering if any kind soul can help me with an issue i'm having.

I have just restored my factory settings using F10 during start up. I've been through the new set up options and i'm told that i have successfully completed set up. It tells me to click 'finish' and i'll be up and running again; however, when i click finish i just get the egg timer permanently and it goes nowhere. I left it for an hour last night with no joy. I'm prepared for the worst and suspect something fundamental is wrong, but any help or pointers would be more than gratefully received.

Cheers

Jamie

2. chaimjm

chaimjm Staff Sergeant

Please give some info Hardware, OS

3. papajay

papajay Private E-2

sorry, good point!

it's an old HP desktop, about 4 years old, i couldn't give you RAM, processor specifics etc without being in front of it...it runs Windows XP home.

thanks for your time :)

4. chaimjm

chaimjm Staff Sergeant

What problems were you having that you wanted to do a restore

5. papajay

papajay Private E-2

ok, bit of a long story

i have an old creative MP3 player that has stopped being recognised by the creative software...i spoke to someone at a company called Microgenic Systems who suggested that Windows Media PLayer 11 causes problems such as that, and suggested removing it. I did that, but still no joy. I thought it won't hurt to restore factory settings, as there's so much stuff on the PC (it's a second PC that i haven't had online for ages- i just really used it for this old MP3 player, as it won't run with Vista on my newer laptop) that i don;t use, and it runs sooooo slowly, that it might just do to start again, i'd seen an 'expert' do it before a few years ago when i had a virus that he couldn't get rid of, and (probably foolishly) thought it could solve all problems.

6. chaimjm

chaimjm Staff Sergeant

I would format the Hard drive and reinstall XP you can do the formatting during the installation.

7. papajay

papajay Private E-2

problem is, i can't start up my pc....each time i try and start it up it goes to the same screen, asking me to click 'finish' and then just clocks forever

8. chaimjm

chaimjm Staff Sergeant

Are you pressing F10 to choose your boot options

9. papajay

papajay Private E-2

ok, do you mean when i begin start up, should i press F10 when the option comes up at the bottom of the screen? Sorry for sounding so much like a novice, but i am a novice!

10. chaimjm

chaimjm Staff Sergeant

Yes what you must do is to get your computer to boot to your windows installation disk (you do have one, I hope) and you must reinstall windows. You will get to a screen where you will have to options of formatting the drive, do it. Just take it slow it’s not very difficult.

11. papajay

papajay Private E-2

ok, i shall do that this evening.....thanks very much for your help

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds