Remote Server 2000 Access

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Quatra Grafix, Jun 19, 2006.

1. Quatra Grafix

Quatra Grafix Private E-2

I am running a Windows 2000 Server in a small office I need to be able to access the server from other locations to do Administrative things, such as Back up and other things. We do not have a Static IP Address with our ISP , we are a small Non-profit so our budget will not allow it. Is there a good secure remote access program I should use so I am able to maintain the server while I am at another location it a 25 mile drive and I dont want to have to drive all that way just for something I can do from here or someother place
    Thanks

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

I would recommend Remote Desktop Connection, which is Microsoft's Remote Control software. This is free, integrates well with the OS, and supports Network Level Authentication.

3. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

Just curious.....how will you know when the IP address changes and more importantly how will you know what it has changed to?

4. Quatra Grafix

How would I use those if the IP Address Changes on a Regular basis I am using Road Runner ISP and they change the IP Regularly Is there a Program that is secure and is not IP Specific?

5. Quatra Grafix

N I dont have anyone I can Trust to do it they are not computer users enough to understand what I would need

I need to be able to control it remotely and on any Internet Connection

6. jconstan

jconstan MajorGeek

7. fromhq

fromhq Private E-2

You first need a dynamic dns program to allow you to have one static dns address all the time even though you don't have a static IP. Then setup terminal services on the 2000 server. Or if it has a modem and you have an extra phone line, you could connect the modem to the extra line...I.e. fax line. Then setup routing and remote access to accept incoming connections...its very easy to do. This will allow you to dial in from another location using a phone line and access your server that way.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds