No Power at all

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by CarolH, Oct 20, 2006.

1. CarolH

CarolH Private E-2

Hi, I have just removed my motherboard because the capacitors were expanding on the top. It was an ASRock model GE Pro-M2. I was told by the comp. store that it could be replaced with an Asus P4S8X-MX, and that I could use the original processor and ram. I did this because I wasn't interested in upgrading, just getting something that wouldn't hang every few minutes, thereby requiring a reboot. I installed the mo/bo and now it won't even power up. The fan doesn't come on and there is no noise from it at all. Any preliminary suggestions before I start disconnecting everything? Thanks.

2. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

I always test a new mother board out of the case before installing, do you know that the power supply is still good, might be a good idea to have it checked. ed

3. CarolH

CarolH Private E-2

No, I haven't checked the power supply. Is there an easy way to check it?

4. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

Not really, i would call where you bought the MOBO and see if they have a checker, no power at all usually means psu, you could try clearing the cmos, unplug power and pull mother board battery out for a few minutes and reinstall and try again. ed

5. Wyatt_Earp

Wyatt_Earp MajorGeek

A couple other reasons why it is not powering up could be that the motherboard is not grounded properly, it is shorted out, the power switch is not connected on the correct pins, you don't have the 4-pin connector connected, or that the motherboard is faulty. All of these are probably just as common, or maybe more so in this situation than the power supply being faulty because (I assume?) it was just working with the old system...

6. CarolH

CarolH Private E-2

The power supply was working with the old board. The cap's were expanding and the programs were hanging and it was getting annoying having to reboot all the time. There were some programs I couldn't open at all.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds