Adaware 2007 definations

Discussion in 'Software' started by sparkyrhett, Jan 30, 2008.

1. sparkyrhett

sparkyrhett Private E-2

Good Morning. I have installed Adaware 2007 free, upgrading from Adaware se personal free. Since I installed it I have been unable to update the definations, I receive errors such as "cannot connect, server busy", "core engine busy" etc. I have been useing Adaware for years with not so much as a problem or a glitch. I have googled for results or fixes for this issue but according to the reads, there is no resolve. Am I missing something. Lavasoft forums provide suggestions, but it appears none of those are working either. I understand this is a free utility and I appreciate it greatly and I probably have no room to complain, but if there is no fix, is it time to move on to another service. I use Spybot along with Adaware. I am really to busy to not be able to depend on a service free or not. Can any of you folks recomend a fix. I really hate to dump Adaware :(

2. sparkyrhett

sparkyrhett Private E-2

I am sorry, in my dismay, I forgot to give my OS. Windows XP SP2 :eek:

3. md2lgyk

md2lgyk I can't follow the rules

I've used Ad-aware almost from the beginning (nearly 10 years). I've often had an issue such as yours when new definitions come out. Their server(s) simply get overloaded. I just try to do updates at a different time of day.

I too recently upgraded from SE Personal to 2007 Free. Though I had no problems with updates, I decided to ditch Ad-aware altogether - it almost never finds anything other than an occasional cookie, and I don't need another process running all the time.

4. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>> Ad-aware 2007 Definitions update problem <<

You can also directly download the latest Ad-aware 2007 Definitions File here at MajorGeeks (which is located in the "Anti-Spyware Tools" section).

You can manually update the Detection Database with the latest Definitions File by following the steps below:

(1) Close Ad-Aware 2007.
    (2) Download the latest Definitions File in a ZIP file.
    (3) Save the file to a temporary location.
    (4) When complete, unzip the contents of the file to the installation directory of Ad-Aware 2007, which is usually C:\documents and settings\All Users\application data\Lavasoft\Ad-Aware 2007
    (5) Open Ad-Aware 2007. You can confirm the latest Definitions File is installed by looking at 'Update Status' on Ad-Aware 2007's main status screen. ​

Useful Tip: You might want to save that Ad-aware 2007 Definitions File webpage to your browser "favorites" folder just in case you have problems downloading from within the program in the future. :)

Good Luck!

5. sparkyrhett

sparkyrhett Private E-2

Thank you for the info. I will attempt to do the manual update, but I am giving thought to Avgspyware free. I think that is the name.

6. COMPUABLE

COMPUABLE First Sergeant

>> Thank you for the info. I will attempt to do the manual update, but I am giving thought to Avgspyware free. I think that is the name. sparkyrhett <<

You're quite welcome, my pleasure really... :)

AVG Anti-Spyware Free Edition is available here at MajorGeeks

Side Notes: AVG Anti-Spyware set up contains the free as well as the "paid" version of AVG Anti-Spyware, after installation a free 30 day trial version containing all the extensions of the full version will be activated. At the end of this trail these extensions are deactivated and the program becomes a feature-limited freeware version.

You can view a "product comparison" of the three available versions here (which details the various differences between AVG Internet Security | AVG Anti-Spyware Pro | AVG Anti-Spyware Free)

Good Luck!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds