Windows hardware rating; windows 8 upped to 9.9 from 7's 7.9

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by biogenesis, Mar 25, 2012.

1. biogenesis

biogenesis Sergeant

What would the specs for ram have to be to get a score like 9.9???

Even better, what kind of specs for a hard drive would give you a 7.9 or 9.9?

Note: I don't play or care about w.o.w.

And I'm not looking for an answer like "According to M$ Help for Windows Performance Index:

"A computer with a base score of 6.0 or 7.0 has a faster hard disk, and can support high-end, graphics-intensive experiences, such as multilayer and 3‑D gaming and recording and playback of HDTV content."

What it is saying is that after you reach the 7.0+ level you are playing a numbers ego game. Basically, after this point it is merely like comparing pekker sizes in the junior high school locker room
    ."

Although that's some good info and it may be true, it doesn't answer my questions.

2. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

Possibly SSD?

3. biogenesis

biogenesis Sergeant

that's what I thought, but more so what spec of the hard drive up's the ratting?

It's not the capacity idk if it's the rpm's either.

Same for ram, what spec in the rams specs change the ratting?

4. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

It is just Microsoft up to their usual games. Trying to make their OS out what it isn't.

5. hrlow2

hrlow2 MajorGeek

That does sound more likely.
    Hyping up the new release.

6. biogenesis

biogenesis Sergeant

Sounds about right.

But I'd still like to know what specs up the ratting in ram and hard drives.

7. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

http://windowsteamblog.com/windows/...indows-experience-index-an-in-depth-look.aspx

So there is no fixed number Microsoft just decides what score a computer should have as Browniz said.
    Memory scores are measured using the bandwidth and amount and hard drives are measured using bandwidth.

8. biogenesis

biogenesis Sergeant

bandwidth meaning speed?
    Example: Speed DDR3 1866

9. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Bandwidth is the total amount of data transferred through the memory over time.

E.G 26GB/s = Twenty six gigabytes per second

I can't find any more info on the MS hard drive test but hey usually follow this pattern write speed,read speed and access time.

10. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

To add, 8 places everything into "Virtual" drives, which is due to MS is using Samba 2.2 (older version), that is why the "better" score.

All MS is trying to do, is "win" hearts over those using Linux, or wanting to move to Apple's OS-X platform. They even screwed with the scores on stating that their Cellphone OS is faster than others.

11. scajjr

scajjr Sergeant

I know my hard drive score went from 5.9 to 7.7 when I went to a SATA II SSD, then up to 7.9 when I put the SATA III Samsung in.

Sam

12. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

I can put it this way:

On average, a "standard" platter HDD will run at somewhere between 100-150 MB/s, which usually gives you a max of 5.9 WEI. Your average bandwith on the SATA III SSD is about 500 MB/s, which scores a 7.9 no problem.

What gives you the score, is the bandwith data transfer rate of the drive.

Most likely what will get you a 9.9 will be the newest generation of PCIe SSD cards, which can transfer at 900-1000 MB/s.

How's that sound?

:major

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds