Interesting things about Linux

Discussion in 'Software' started by Jim S, Apr 27, 2004.

1. Jim S

Jim S Private E-2

I'm just bored and decided to post some notes I wrote down here. From reading my Linux book, I have noted a few things about linux I found interesting. first is says google has an entire section of their site devoted to linux; http://www.google.com/linux second, it says that the google search engine is made up of more than 4,000 linux machines!, it also says that FAT32 and NTFS drives can be implemented into linux (It may not be any new information, but I didn't know that I could do that)

2. Robster12

Robster12 The Horse Whisperer

Hey Jim S., did you get that network situation worked out yet?

Good book, isn't it? ;)

3. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

Many websites run on Apache. This is because Linux was designed to be a networking system. I had the Cowz theme running on my other laptop. The Moooooo at startup was the best part!

4. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

You might be interested in knowing that google doesn't use apache. It uses their own custom made web server which is only run by google. Guess what it's called. GWS (Google web server). :) I believe the current version is 2.1

Also about FS support in linux. Linux is design to allow for any file system. You just need to install the driver. Last time I checked it had support for over 50 diffrent file systems. Although it is worth noting that ntfs support is flaky. Reading it is fine but writing to ntfs drives from within linux is a chore and the default drivers laoded with linux won't even allow it. It can be done but more often then not attempting to do it will break the ntfs partition and cause you to lose all your data.

5. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

Thats interesting! I guess they wrote their own server for speed/optimisation. Runs on a unix cluster doesn't it?

I tried running RedHat for my web server, but it was more trouble than it was worth. I just couldnt get my head around it quick enough. I should really learn how to use it properly one day.

6. Jim S

Jim S Private E-2

I decided to go the way of a wireless bridge. :) I'm so happy I got Linux online (I'm running it right now)

I love this OS so far!!!! although, my friend says he hates it because he can't play online games. Is that true?

7. Robster12

Robster12 The Horse Whisperer

Gee, I don't know, Jim S. (I've not played any games yet, and since I'm on dial-up, I'm sure to be blown to bits right quick if I tried).

8. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

UT2004 you can run on Linux! Thats online!

9. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

Linux plays games online just fine. It does have fewer games then windows PC's but it does the big name games like counter strike and UT and quite a few others. It has more games then most people realize but still not as many as a windows PC.

10. Jim S

Jim S Private E-2

11. Jim S

Jim S Private E-2

oh check that out Sonic champion. At first I didn't think I got it, but yep I feel good!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds