Monitor gets "No signal" after boot-up!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by influence, Jul 26, 2005.

1. influence

influence Private E-2

I was working in some audio programs last night and my PC began to freeze. However, it was still active and somewhat glitchy (graphics where disapearing and turning white). I had to perform a hard reboot with the "reset button". Everything seemed to work OK after that. Today I start up the PC and start working again. It started getting glitchy again and froze. Again, I had to perform a hard reboot. This time my computer never came back. After I hit the power button, the HDD light flashes and then turns off, the power supply is running, the fans are running, the mouse has its led light, the Hard drive is running and the internal speaker beeps once. However, it wont even go into BIOS. All I get on the screen is "no signal". Is my graphics card fried? How can I troubleshoot this problem?
    Thanks in advance.

P4 2.8 ghz
    Windows XP Pro
    1.5 Ram
    Radeon 9200 Graphics Card

P.S. Yes, I checked to make sure everything was plugged in correctly.

2. Kibble

Kibble Private First Class

Freaky, I was JUST going to post this same topic!!

I was playing WoW a few days ago, and my computer suddenly locked up and froze completely. "Hmm, thats strange" I thought to myself. I tried to turn my computer back on, and everything turned back on. Lights, fans, everything, EXCEPT my fan on the bottom of my graphics card. I got the 'MONITOR IS WORKING! CHECK SIGNAL/CABLE" message displayed on my computer, so I at first assumed it was just my graphic card frying again.

So I took out my card and checked for signs of burning (Like my last one). This card had no signs of problems anywhere on it, it didn't smell burnt, the fan turned fine, ect. There was nothing physically wrong with it! Anyway, I took the Geforce 4 MX440 out of this computer and tried to plug it into my good computer, and I got the same message! So now I know that it wasn't a graphic card related problem, since a 100% working card didn't work in my computer.

Here are the hardware specs on my dead computer:
    1gig DDR400 ram
    Athlon 3200+ XP processor
    Asus A7V600-X mobo
    Radeon 9800 Pro
    80gig HDD
    420w Raidmax PSU

I already tried checking both sticks of ram, and they are fine. My HD lights up, and the fans turn on my CPU, so I don't think those are the problem. I reset my BIOS by taking out the battery while my computer sat unplugged for an hour, and still, no dice. The only thing I can think of that could be wrong with my computer is my motherboard, like maybe it cooked.

Any help is appreciated. I can get my computer to turn on, just it doesn't get to BIOS and no graphics come on the screen.

Thanks!! Hopefuly somoene can help either of us :p

--Kibb

3. Kibble

Yah, I know I shouldn't Hijack threads. It's just I bet our problems are solved by the same means, so instead of making a new thread, I figured I'd post here for simplicity. Sorry~.

--Kibb

4. Kibble

Nobody? =/

I'm gunna get a new mobo tommorow, hopefully this solves the problem.

--Kibb

5. influence

influence Private E-2

No, I do not have access to another monitor at this time. However, I did save the video card out of an older Dell machine that I scrapped for parts. I removed my Radeon and replaced it with the Dell. The monitor came on after a reboot but started going crazy with the beeps from the internal speaker and listed an error with the A drive. This is strange because I do not have an A drive and I have this disabled in BIOS.
    Is it because its a Dell video card? Maybe they have it encripted to not work with any other machines? Anyways, it does seem to be the video card considering that I had somewhat of a picture after I changed my old one out. What do you think?
    Also, what card should I look into purchasing now? I am a music producer and would perfer a card that can handle two monitors and maybe a intergrated fan.
    Thanks again.

6. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

If the dell card is really old it could be the first revision of agp cards,although it fits the signalling voltage is different this could explain the problem,I'd take it out before something is damaged,you could post the specs of it or take a photo and post it,could you also check the atx 12v is plugged in near the cpu ;)

7. influence

influence Private E-2

OK, So I went out and purchased a new video card. I installed it and nothing.
    So, i decided to start taking the Ram out one at a time. I took the 1 GB stick out and same problem. I took out the 512 stick and my computer finally came back. However, the stick looked fine. So, I stuck it in my third slot and it still works. Did I burn out a slot on the Motherboard somehow. Has anybody ever heard of this?
    Thanks for all your help.

8. Kibble

I bought a new mobo today, I'm gunna give that shot. But I tried the RAM thing... I took both peices out and put one in my last slot, and it still didn't boot up, BUT my video card fan started running (Thats an improvement~)

I'll install new mobo and junk and let you guys know what happened, but this sounds like a mobo/ram issue here.

--Kibb

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds