Bad Blocks = Dead HDD

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by syco, Jan 4, 2007.

1. syco

syco Private E-2

Hi

My question is if I convert a dynamic HDD to a basic disk in the Disk Manager Can I use data recovery software to get the data back afterwards or is it gone for good?

Here's the reason.

I had my 160GB Maxtor HDD in a USB external case and pulled the power without stopping it in windows first. Now I'm unable to access any data on the disk.

It was a slave in another desktop and now lives in the case for use with laptop. This means it has to be re activated in the Disk Manager every time it's connected.

The error in the event viewer is saying theres a bad block. I've tried MaxBlast4 which apparently can fix bad blocks but it wont let me try anything until I convert it to a basic disk.

I tried to slave it into another dektop but the error is the same. Unable to complete operation, see error log for details' or words to that effect.

Am I screwed?

2. syco

syco Private E-2

Honestly I would have expected a reply to this. I thought I had lost all my data and would have appreciated some help. I've learned a few things since posting this, so I've come back to this thread to help anyone who might be in a similar position.

Here are a list of utilities that might work for you. Best of all they're free.

http://www.freebyte.com/filediskutils/

3. Toke

Toke MajorGeek

Sorry we missed you syco .. but glad to see you have sorted and many thanks for returning with the URL I'm sure that will assist other Geeks in the future. I for one have put in my Favs :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds