Problems installing Packages in order to install WUSB54G wireless adapter in Ubuntu 6

Discussion in 'Software' started by JawsThemeSwimming428, Sep 20, 2006.

1. JawsThemeSwimming428

JawsThemeSwimming428 Private E-2

Hello everyone, and I do apologize if this is already posted somewhere that I missed. I have been trying for about 2 weeks now to get my WUSB54G wireless network adapter to be recognized on my Ubuntu 6.06 system. In System->Administration->Networking there is no wireless networking devices recognized. I am trying to follow the instructions on this post (http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=192588) but at the part where you are supposed to install the build-essentials and kernel headers development tools I run into some problems. Here are the errors I receive when I try to install the packages:

Could not mark all packages for installation or upgrade

The following packages have unresolvable dependencies. Make sure that all required repositories are added and enabled in the preferences.

build-essential:
    Depends: libc6-dev but it is not installable or
    libc-dev but it is not installable
    Depends: gcc but it is not going to be installed
    Depends: g++ but it is not going to be installed

Could not mark all packages for installation or upgrade

The following packages have unresolvable dependencies. Make sure that all required repositories are added and enabled in the preferences.

g++:
    Depends: cpp (>=4:4.0.3-1) but it is not installable
    Depends: gcc but it is not going to be installed
    Depends: g++-4.0 but it is not going to be installed
    Depends: gcc-4.0 (>=4.0.3) but it is not installable

*This error occurs after I try to install the make command by itself with the few other packages it would allow me to mark.*

The following problems were found on your system:

W: Failed to fetch cdrom:[Ubuntu 6.06 _Dapper Drake_ - Release i386 (20060531)]/pool/main/i/isdnutils/libcapi20-3_3.8.2005-12-06-2ubuntu4_i386.deb
    MD5Sum mismatch

W: Failed to fetch cdrom:[Ubuntu 6.06 _Dapper Drake_ - Release i386 (20060531)]/pool/main/i/isdnutils/capiutils_3.8.2005-12-06-2ubuntu4_i386.deb
    MD5Sum mismatch

W: Failed to fetch cdrom:[Ubuntu 6.06 _Dapper Drake_ - Release i386 (20060531)]/pool/restricted/l/linux-restricted-modules-2.6.15/avm-fritz-firmware-2.6.15-23_3.11+2.6.15.11-1_i386.deb
    MD5Sum mismatch

W: Failed to fetch cdrom:[Ubuntu 6.06 _Dapper Drake_ - Release i386 (20060531)]/pool/restricted/l/linux-meta/avm-fritz-firmware_2.6.15.22_i386.deb
    MD5Sum mismatch

W: Failed to fetch cdrom:[Ubuntu 6.06 _Dapper Drake_ - Release i386 (20060531)]/pool/main/b/binutils/binutils_2.16.1cvs20060117-1ubuntu2_i386.deb
    MD5Sum mismatch

W: Failed to fetch cdrom:[Ubuntu 6.06 _Dapper Drake_ - Release i386 (20060531)]/pool/main/m/make/make_3.80+3.81.b4-1_i386.deb
    MD5Sum mismatch

W: Failed to fetch cdrom:[Ubuntu 6.06 _Dapper Drake_ - Release i386 (20060531)]/pool/main/b/bpalogin/bpalogin_2.0.2-6ubuntu1_i386.deb
    MD5Sum mismatch

I'm not quite sure what to do. Is it a problem with the disk? Is there something wrong with my installation? Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks for the help!

2. erikske

erikske Sergeant

MD5Sum mismatch means the file is corrupt. Your Ubuntu CD is possibly damaged. Try to burn it again.

3. JawsThemeSwimming428

Re: Problems installing Packages in order to install WUSB54G wireless adapter in Ubun

Thanks for the help, however, the CD is actually one that was mailed to me from Ubuntu. I did try another CD that was mailed to me and it came up with the same errors. As far as installing build essentials and kernel headers, I figured out why it wouldn't let me mark them for installation. I needed to install a few repositories and then it let me mark them but when I attempted the install they came up with MD5 errors. Could it be possible that there is something wrong with the system itself? Is a complete system re-install something I should be thinking about?

4. theefool

theefool Geekified

5. erikske

erikske Sergeant

Your CD drive may be dirty (yes, that can happen). Try using a cleaning CD/DVD on it.

Alternately, disable the cdrom repository.
    Code:
    sudo vim /etc/apt/sources.list
    (or use the editor of your choice)

and comment out the cdrom repository.

then
    sudo apt-get update

6. JawsThemeSwimming428

Re: Problems installing Packages in order to install WUSB54G wireless adapter in Ubun

Sorry it took me so long to post. I was a little busy with some things but I appreciate the help. Today I got the Cleaning CD and about 40 minutes later I was able to install the packages. Thanks for the help! I'm still working on it so I will keep you posted and probably be back very soon with more questions. Right now I am trying to install ndiswrapper!

7. JawsThemeSwimming428

Ok so I got everything going and the development tools (build essentials and kernel package) were installed. Now I am trying to install Ndiswrapper version 1.8 and when I try to execute the following command:

tar zxvf ndiswrapper-1.8.tar.gz

I get the following message:

willy@willy-desktop:/$ tar zxvf ndiswrapper-version.tar.gz
    tar: ndiswrapper-version.tar.gz: Cannot open: No such file or directory
    tar: Error is not recoverable: exiting now
    tar: Child returned status 2
    tar: Error exit delayed from previous errors
    willy@willy-desktop:/$

What am I doing wrong or missing? Sorry I'm not very familiar with the Ubuntu command line.

8. mgpower0

mgpower0 Corporal

where have you got the tar file. If it is on the desktop you need to change directory to there before untaring.try
    sudo cd ~/Desktop
    or substitute directory name for Desktop if not saved to Desktop. Must use capital D. Then try tar zxvf ndiswrapper-version.tar.gz
    again. If it says you don't have permission add sudo to the front of the command

9. JawsThemeSwimming428

Thanks for the help. Like I said before, I am not very familiar with Ubuntu yet so I appreciate your patience. I did that and I think it worked however I am not sure what to do next. Here is what I ran at the command prompt:

willy@willy-desktop:~/Desktop$ tar zxvf ndiswrapper-1.23.tar.gz
    ndiswrapper-1.23/
    ndiswrapper-1.23/AUTHORS
    ndiswrapper-1.23/ChangeLog
    ndiswrapper-1.23/INSTALL
    ndiswrapper-1.23/Makefile
    ndiswrapper-1.23/README
    ndiswrapper-1.23/ndiswrapper.spec
    ndiswrapper-1.23/ndiswrapper.8
    ndiswrapper-1.23/utils/
    ndiswrapper-1.23/utils/Makefile
    ndiswrapper-1.23/utils/ndiswrapper
    ndiswrapper-1.23/utils/loadndisdriver.c
    ndiswrapper-1.23/utils/ndiswrapper-buginfo
    ndiswrapper-1.23/driver/
    ndiswrapper-1.23/driver/divdi3.c
    ndiswrapper-1.23/driver/hal.c
    ndiswrapper-1.23/driver/iw_ndis.c
    ndiswrapper-1.23/driver/iw_ndis.h
    ndiswrapper-1.23/driver/loader.c
    ndiswrapper-1.23/driver/loader.h
    ndiswrapper-1.23/driver/longlong.h
    ndiswrapper-1.23/driver/Makefile
    ndiswrapper-1.23/driver/misc_funcs.c
    ndiswrapper-1.23/driver/ndis.c
    ndiswrapper-1.23/driver/ndis.h
    ndiswrapper-1.23/driver/ndiswrapper.h
    ndiswrapper-1.23/driver/ntoskernel.c
    ndiswrapper-1.23/driver/ntoskernel.h
    ndiswrapper-1.23/driver/ntoskernel_io.c
    ndiswrapper-1.23/driver/pe_linker.c
    ndiswrapper-1.23/driver/pe_linker.h
    ndiswrapper-1.23/driver/pnp.c
    ndiswrapper-1.23/driver/pnp.h
    ndiswrapper-1.23/driver/proc.c
    ndiswrapper-1.23/driver/usb.c
    ndiswrapper-1.23/driver/usb.h
    ndiswrapper-1.23/driver/winnt_types.h
    ndiswrapper-1.23/driver/workqueue.c
    ndiswrapper-1.23/driver/wrapmem.h
    ndiswrapper-1.23/driver/wrapmem.c
    ndiswrapper-1.23/driver/wrapper.c
    ndiswrapper-1.23/driver/wrapndis.h
    ndiswrapper-1.23/driver/wrapndis.c
    ndiswrapper-1.23/driver/lin2win.h
    ndiswrapper-1.23/driver/win2lin_stubs.S
    willy@willy-desktop:~/Desktop$

The directions I have say to run 'make uninstall' in the directory that was created, but what directory was created and where is it?

10. erikske

erikske Sergeant

The directory was created as a sub-directory of Desktop. Type cd ./ndiswrapper-1.23 to access it (assuming your current directory is Desktop, else you have to type cd <path to desktop>/ndiswrapper-1.23)
    Now you have to run these commands (and not 'make uninstall'):
    Code:
    make distclean
    make
    sudo make install
    ndiswrapper -i <path to driver .inf>
    sudo depmod -a
    Make sure you have the kernel sources installed or make will fail. Do not continue if you encouter errors as this will mess up the system. Report errors here.
    Verify if the driver got installed with the ndiswrapper -l command. The output should look similar to this:
    Code:
    Installed ndis drivers:
    bcmwl5 driver present, hardware present
    With ndiswrapper installed correctly, configure your interface. Start at the 'Load Module' section on http://ndiswrapper.sourceforge.net/mediawiki/index.php/Installation

11. JawsThemeSwimming428

How do I ensure that the kernel sources are installed?

12. erikske

erikske Sergeant

Install the 'linux-source' package with synaptic.

13. JawsThemeSwimming428

I installed the linux-source package from Synaptic. Once I was in the ndiswrapper directory I ran 'make distclean' and that ran with no errors. Then I ran 'make' and it returned the following output, with errors:

willy@willy-desktop:~/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.23$ make distclean
    make -C driver clean
    make[1]: Entering directory `/home/willy/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.23/driver'
    rm -rf ndiswrapper.ko ndiswrapper.o hal.o iw_ndis.o loader.o misc_funcs.o ndis.o ntoskernel.o ntoskernel_io.o pe_linker.o pnp.o proc.o wrapmem.o wrapndis.o wrapper.o divdi3.o usb.o win2lin_stubs.o \
    divdi3.o workqueue.o .*.ko.cmd .*.o.cmd \
    ndiswrapper.mod.[oc] *~ .tmp_versions Modules.symvers Module.symvers
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/willy/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.23/driver'
    make -C utils clean
    make[1]: Entering directory `/home/willy/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.23/utils'
    rm -f *~ *.o loadndisdriver
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/willy/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.23/utils'
    rm -f *~
    rm -fr ndiswrapper-1.23 ndiswrapper-1.23.tar.gz patch-stamp
    make -C driver distclean
    rm -rf ndiswrapper.ko ndiswrapper.o hal.o iw_ndis.o loader.o misc_funcs.o ndis.o ntoskernel.o ntoskernel_io.o pe_linker.o pnp.o proc.o wrapmem.o wrapndis.o wrapper.o divdi3.o usb.o win2lin_stubs.o \
    divdi3.o workqueue.o .*.ko.cmd .*.o.cmd \
    ndiswrapper.mod.[oc] *~ .tmp_versions Modules.symvers Module.symvers
    rm -f *_exports.h .\#* win2lin_stubs.h
    make -C utils distclean
    make[1]: Entering directory `/home/willy/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.23/utils'
    rm -f *~ *.o loadndisdriver
    rm -f .\#*
    make[1]: Leaving directory `/home/willy/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.23/utils'
    rm -f .\#*
    willy@willy-desktop:~/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.23$ make
    make -C driver
    Can't find kernel build files in /lib/modules/2.6.15-23-386/build;
    give the path to kernel build directory with
    KBUILD=<path> argument to make
    make[1]: *** [prereq_check] Error 1
    make: *** [all] Error 2
    willy@willy-desktop:~/Desktop/ndiswrapper-1.23$

What did I do wrong?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds