1. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

WinXP MCE SP2... when I launch IE, it goes to my home page OK, but in 5 or 10 seconds, at least one (usually 2) other pages open behind it. Stuff like "myprofilepimp.com" or "sb.pch.com/ops....." and also "adserve.webtoolcafe.com/advertpro..." are the most common ones. I can close 'em fairly easily so they aren't a HUGE problem, but they shouldn't be there. This isn't my PC, and when I first looked at it last week, it was loaded with malware. I'm usually pretty good at cleaning the crap-ola, and it was clean. No wierdness, no ad pages opening up, nothing. Now, it's a week later and the guy says "I'm still getting pop-ups!". Well, they aren't pop ups, and they weren't there last week. I've followed the steps in the "read and run me" sticky, and I've run other scans too. I just can't seem to get rid of these ad pages. Attached is a zipped folder with several scan logs in it.... any help will be appreciated!

hd2k

Just now, another ad page opened behind this post! "Welcome to Advertisers Reward Network" and the page is "arn.aavalue.com/....."

EDIT: I forgot to mention that he had all the security stuff in IE turned down to minimum and I KNOW when I worked on it last week, I had set them all at default or Medium as needed, so he went in turned 'em all down for some reason....

Attached Files:

2. chaslang

chaslang MajorGeeks Admin - Master Malware Expert Staff Member

You need to install and rename HijackThis as requested in the READ ME and then attach a new log. You more than likely have one of the exact infections that makes this critical.

You also need to follow all steps in the READ ME and attach the logs that were requested. Note you did not fix anything that AVG Antispyware found. You need to run it again and fix what it finds and save a new log to attach.

Below is a list of all logs that were requested (including HJT):
    • CounterSpy - only for Windows XP, 2K, & NT users
    • AVG Antispyware log - ONLY IF NEEDED you were not able to run CounterSpy. - only for Windows XP, 2K, & NT users
    • Bitdefender - from step 6
    • Panda Scan - from step 6
    • runkeys.txt - the log from GetRunKey.bat
    • newfiles.txt - the log from ShowNew.bat
    • HijackThis

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds