Movies like lord of the rings

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Metalist2, Nov 22, 2007.

1. Metalist2

Metalist2 Private First Class

Anyone know some movies in the same universe as LOTR

2. BigShot

BigShot Private First Class

Do you mean just middle earth itself, so part of the Tolkien works, or just high fantasy of that ilk (elves, dwarves, humans, magic orks, goblins and all that)?

The answer might depend on what exactly you mean.

An obvious one is The Hobbit which was made donkeys years ago. It was an animation and didn't really work all that well.

There's a new Hobbit film on the cards at the moment. New Line own production rights lasting for about 2 or 3 years yet so it's uncertain as to whether something will be made yet. Peter Jackson may be in line to direct it either way though.

I'd quite like to see it made into a film, I do have a habit of hating films after reading the book though (I've got a very vivid imagination and to me reading is like watching a very very long movie so when the movie isn't how I pictured it I'm not keen - haha) but as Jackson did a reasonable job (with notable exceptions) with the LOTR I can't see it going badly.

I'll post again if I think of anything.

3. Metalist2

Yea just the whole fantasy thing with the elves and stuff.

Someone mentioned eragon, is that movie any good.

4. Metalist2

Plus I like the movies to be more on the Dark evil side instead of the whole Family movie edge.

5. BigShot

Not seen it yet. I've asked a girl I know who's a bit of a fantasy buff but she hasn't got back to me yet.

For something in the cinema now there's Beowulf which I saw at in I-Max this week - a good film (computer animated) but it's not high fantasy at all. It's based on an old english heroic poem. Think along the lines of Find mac Cumail (Finn McCool), Oisín and other North European and Scandinavian hero myths.

If you've not already seen it then it might interst you. It's well made and there are some very good scenes in it. If you can see it in 3d (and can keep your head upright for the whole film) then do so, some shots seem made for 3d and I'm sure they wouldn't work as well in 2d - though I'd see it either way.

EDIT
    =-=-
    Just seen your follow up post... in that case Beowulf might be up your alley - it's a bit adult at times so don't worry about it being a bit kiddy.

Your post also made me think of El Laberinto del Fauno (Pan's Labrynth) too - if you've not seen it you might want to give it a look. It is really very dark - I loved it, though I don't go in for films just because they are dark (certainly not into horror).

6. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

7. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Eragon is OK, even looks a bit like LOTR(OK, even ripped off) but it's OK, they left it open for a sequel but sadly haven't made one yet. The animated Hobbit really sucked so don't even bother with that one. I'm tired so if I remember others, I'll post later.

8. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

I like high fantasy but I have precious little else to offer as movies go. A Knight's Tale-Comedic type of King Arthur, or perhaps something like one of Philip K. Dick's movie adaptations but that's stretching into sci-fi big time.

I would have liked to have seen Ursula K. LeGuin's 'Tombs of Atuan' made into a movie but it probably wouldn't have had much action in it therefore not too salable.

I agree with the poster above, ones mind's eye is the best movie screen around. Of course there's the HP series but you knew that already.

I'll keep digging as this intrigues me now. Probably some 'B' movies around made with swords and spells as the main subject but I don't know them and probably wouldn't want to know or see them.

9. Phantom

Phantom Brigadier Britches

Eragon was okay. But I liked Pathfinder better. A little gory in parts, but Viking warriors weren’t Boy Scouts, I guess.

http://movies.yahoo.com/movie/1809233138/info

10. BigShot

I got a reply from my friend and she suggested a few things...

10th Kingdom was a high fantasy mini series showin in the US a few years ago. There were about 5, 2 hour episodes (remeber this includes the usual American TV practice of putting commercial breaks in after every 30 words spoken on screen)

She also mentioned "Jack and the Beanstalk: The Real Story" - which I looked up online and it seems like a good idea for a film, though I've never seen it and sites like wikipedia have precious little information on it.

Then she mentioned was "The Magical Land of the Leprechauns" - I've just had a look on imdb and it strikes me as a bit of a fairy-tale movie than typical high fantasy but she mentioned it so I'm passing it on.

The Secret of Roan Inish was another - I've never heard of it before but a quick look on wikipedia and it appeals. Again, not high fantasy but North European folklore. In this case Scottish.

Then there's Onmyoji[/url. There are a couple of things by this name, one a tv series and the otehr a film, I'm assuming this is the one she meant.

After listing all of these she said "or do you mean... epic adventures with elves?" - so there's a chance she'll have some more LOTResque things to suggest, but I was on my way to bed so I'll ask her again later as soon as she comes online.

Some good looking films have been suggested in here so far - I'm going to have a fair bit of watching to do now. :)

11. Metalist2

You know what would be a cool movie if the Warhammer series came out with a motion film, it's more sci-fi though..

12. ASUS

ASUS MajorGeek

13. BigShot

Metalist2 - Warhammer 40,000 is sci-fi (and very gothic at that) but Warhammer would fit right into the fantasy bracket.

Elves, dwarves, humans, magic, demons... Spot on really.

There's SO much scope for films in the whole Warhammer universe (40k and fantasy) too - you'd never be stuck for stories and new takes on things.

EDIT
    ------

Oh and http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Eragon - I spoke to my friend and she suggested I don't buy it, but get it from the library. The film was rated pretty badly and the book (written by a 15 year old) has mixed reviews.
    The consensus seems to be that it's a fantastic book for a 15 year old. Apparently it borrows a LOT from LOTR and (plot from) Star Wars.

14. Maxwell

Maxwell Folgers

I didn't that there is or was a Warhammer film cos of this legal ruling: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/technology/7010484.stm

If it is swords and sorcery films then you could try Red Sonja, Conan the Barbarian, Willow, Dragonheart, Reign of Fire, Dungeons & Dragons, The Neverending Story, etc..

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds