Ac adapter port?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Riptor50, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Riptor50

Riptor50 Private E-2

I am currently using a dell studio 1555 and using the laptop is fine without or with the power cord plugged in until it comes to anything requireing 3D graphics...

Unplugged to the power it is able to play 3D (games programs) fine until the battery runs out. But as soon as i plug the powercord in the computer shutts off anywhere from 10 seconds to 5 minutes. My computer was able to play game and such untill i left for peru for 3 weeks before which i could leave it on a game for over a day before it went to sleep..

any thoughts? i have latest drivers suggested on the dell support ite my bios is updated and i recently reformatted and bought a new power cord ( same problem).

Going to blow it out with a can of compressed air but cooling shouldnt be an issue as it plays fine with no cord in for 2 hours usually (battery). im confuzed mabye its our power supply fluctuating or faulty display system card driver thingo. as it plays fine with anything but 3D graphics with cord in.:cool

2. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

My laptop steps the CPU clock speed down from 2.2 GHz to 800 MHz when running on the battery. When it does, it runs much cooler (-10 to15℃ difference) as a result. That will make a difference. Try the compressed air and it wouldn't hurt to check Dell to see if they have a newer driver for your GPU anyway.

3. Riptor50

Riptor50 Private E-2

thank alot

but i have a question why would my pc be able to run games on battery (still goes over 70degrees celcius) run for 2 hours while hot, and even with fans sitting on a cement floor cannot run for half a minute with ac adapter in?

scenario: i played for 1hour 30 mins with battery power ( hit 72 d celcius) then put the ac adapter in and insta shutdown. my pc didnt used to shut down at even 90 degrees i is confuzed.

found yesterday games can run if its not showing up on the display ( tabbed to facebook with game in the windows bar) even with ac adaptor plugged in.

Dust blower cooled pc down by 10- 15 degrees but still haveing same issue :cry

4. Just Playin

Just Playin MajorGeek

My laptop did the same as your but once I cleared the dirt out and dropped the temp, it cleared up.Have you contacted Dell support or at least update the video driver? This issue may not be unique to you. Your problem is bizarre and I'm sorry that I have no more useful advice.:confused

5. Riptor50

Riptor50 Private E-2

thanks anyway help much appreciated i may have to buy a new pc
    definately reccomending this site for other problems people have
    fast and informative replies ^^

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds