Blah..."has generated errors" & "Access to the specified device" blah. I give up :-))

Discussion in 'Software' started by Hon. Rev. JoWazzoo, Nov 17, 2008.

1. Hon. Rev. JoWazzoo

Hon. Rev. JoWazzoo Private E-2

{footnote (FN) 1}

Short story/request (see longer story below - oh never mind):

Machine A: Windoze 2K machine running IExplorer 6.0 (in my younger day used to be bleeding edge re: tech - no more :)) Problems: From earliest to most recent (and ~ least to most important concerns).

1 - driver_IRQ_not_less_or_equal blah..blah...blah... <hereinafter BBB>
    At this point I don't care - think it is due to an overheating HD (cleaned & installed extra fan). DL some SW and the SMART tells me it is still hot (Sheesh - never get one of those proggys.). No Problems lately - who cares. Click close on SMART SW. :))

2 - Click a Shortcut (i.e. log on to net, start IE, whatever) and nothing happens. Right clicks, start, go in to directory - access method doesn't matter BBB and same story.

3 - Tied in with # 2, depending on what I am doing:

- Explorer has generated errors and will be closed by windows.
    - Loading IE - Internet explorer has BBB ... same junk.

4 - Of course then I could not get access to Internet on that machine (regular or Safe)

- DL SW from other machines and try to load on machine A. Copy over to machine A ...

- Access to the specified device, path or file is denied.

WRT to this, in safe mode some files could be copied but not run. See 3 above. Could not get on INet.

Did I almost fall in to the easy way and Reformat & reinstall everything? (don't even know if you have to fdisk anymore). No way - after all - I am an 3733t HaXxOr d00d.)

Methinks I need to go to final resort - debug. Gack, have not done that in 20freaking years. If so, what to use:

Dr. Watson
    Hijack this
    M$ debugging tools - e.g.
    winBbg
    dumpchk
    symbol file? - yeah right, 30 Mb DL ^ 90 GB of disk space. Heh..

TIA

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    Now I am an old codger haxxor type (classical - not a cracker). You do things to see IF they can be done. Or you NEVER give up and try to solve a problem because it exists. That was great when I was 30 yrs old. :-D

I do not want massive hand holding - just advice.

Did I - yes
    Go to web site? - yes
    DL SW? - yes

I now hav eover 287 tee shirts to prove it.

Seems clear to me that my machine is tending to be hosed. I found the Annoyances & PC Hell sites but nothing related to lunched or hosed machines. :(

Did a search on item 3 above & initial results gave over 360,000 hits. Seemed like a bit much so used quotes and got down to more manageble 40,000. Still abit much for me. Found the only m$ site which made sense and it was talking about the problem being caused by having Clean Sweep installed on a machine that had an earlier M$ OS on it. Yeah right. This disk was new & only had Win 2 k. The clown that wrote that was probably in the first grade when Quarterdeck existed and thinks the Doggy or paper clip is cool. Heh.

I think that it is kool though, that given the # of hits it appears that the Explorer or IExplorer error can be caused by every single M$ OS and every single piece of SW and any HW that you put into your machine. And M$ is essentially quiet on items 2 & 3.

Footnotes:

1) Had the beginning of a great post started. Told 17 YO daughter "don't mess with anything" "Ok Dad" heh...grrr...

For a bit about me - see:

http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showpost.php?p=1240283&postcount=1

or you can also do a Google search on me or The Lumber Cartel )TINLC). I am quite proud of this entry (no offense):

http://www.dmoz.webmasterka.info/link-Bookmarks/J/jowazzoo

:))

TINLC:

http://www.google.com/search?q="lumber cartel"&hl=en&ned=us&ie=UTF-8&sa=N&tab=nw

TINLC

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds