disc cleanup error?

Discussion in 'Software' started by trailblazur, Jul 15, 2006.

1. trailblazur

trailblazur Private E-2

When I try running disc cleanup the Web Client/Publisher Temporary Files register at 3,115,956 which always causes disc cleanup to stop/error. Is there anyway to correct this :confused:

2. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

Possibly an overflow error, try ccleaner instead

Matt

3. trailblazur

trailblazur Private E-2

well i run cccleaner as well with no problem. i just wanted to know what was causing this particular problem :confused:

4. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

It sounds like an overflow error.

5. trailblazur

trailblazur Private E-2

what exactly is an overflow error and how can that be corrected?

6. matt.chugg

matt.chugg MajorGeek

Ok in 'basic' terms an overflow error is when the memory allocated for a variable's contents is exceeded. For example when the diskcleanup application was written the variable used to keep the 'disk space that could be saved' might have been an integer meaning it could hold a number upto about 16,000,000 (depending on the bytes allocated for an integer). in your case you were approaching 32 000,000 which might be a 'long' variable (depending on the bytes allocated for an integer). I could be way of the mark here, and I have attempted to explain it in basic terms (so no replies with the exact max value of an unsigned int please ;) )

if (and I mean IF ) this is the reason for the problem, it cannot be fixed, its just an error in the programming, the programmer just didn't take into account that the value could be that high.

There could be other reasons for the problem so if anyone else has any ideas.....

Matt

(This is a POSSIBLE reason for the problem and nothing more than that.)

Last edited: Jul 15, 2006
  7. trailblazur

trailblazur Private E-2

ok, thanks. what do mean by the "programmer"? any other ideas on how to fix this?

8. Naux

Naux Private E-2

Run a defrag, could be a possibility you have a bad sector on your disk drive...

9. trailblazur

trailblazur Private E-2

i've ran a defrag as well, but the problem still persists :confused:

10. Naux

Naux Private E-2

I agree with the below post there could be a buffer overflow..... (I dont use the program but there might be away to set it)

Try trashing your Temp files/ cookies, reboot and try again?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds