I Can See Homegroup Drives But Cannot Access

Discussion in 'Software' started by 20Valve, Apr 15, 2012.

1. 20Valve

20Valve Sergeant

Greetings Geeks -

I am trying to sort out some Seagate Dashboard, as per my last post. In an attempt to gain an understanding of things, I decided to explore some Homegroup connectivity stuff. To put my situation i perspective, I am savvy overall, but networking is my kryptonite. Anyway, here it goes . . .

I have a Windows 7 desktop. I have a functional wireless router. As far as I can tell, I have a home group properly set up. I set my desktop, printers, and such to be shared by everyone with access to the network. When I attempt to connect to the desktop via my home group with my Vista laptop, I can see the printers, devices, and shared folders, etc., but I cannot access any of the folders. I receive an error message to the effect that there is a problem and I need to check the spelling of the home group and such.

Any ideas? Thanks for any help

2. tgell

tgell Major Geek Extraordinaire

Homegroup is actually accessible only between Windows 7 computers . But, it can be tweaked. Check the following link.

http://www.techrepublic.com/blog/wi...group-content-accessible-to-vista-and-xp/1910

3. 20Valve

20Valve Sergeant

tgell -

Thanks for the info. I set things up as prescribed with no luck. Same result. On a positive note, I got the Seagate Dashboard (another drive with interface software) working. Not through their crappy software though. The drive shows up in the network tab with the other stuff I can't access from my desktop. The Seagate Dashboard drive is connected to the desktop as well.

So, it seems I have other gremlins at work. I am not sure I am going to bother trying to get the thing working over the network anymore. I will mess around a little more with the stuff you sent me, but I am not sure I want to budget my time just to get a USB HD working on a network with a Vista machine!

Thanks for the help!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds