'Remove' button missing in add/remove...

Discussion in 'Software' started by hopperdave2000, Jul 20, 2007.

1. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

I'm cleaning a PC for a lady who had tons of crap-ware on her PC. So far, everything is going fine (after I repaired the Windows Installer 3.1). But now, one of the programs listed in the Add/Remove list doesn't have a 'Remove' button or even a 'Change' button (see zipped screenshot attached). What gives? I haven't tried a 3rd party uninstaller yet, but that's next on the list. Any ideas, help, or suggestion will be appreciated! THANX!

hd2k

Attached Files:

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

See this thread for recommendations to a user with a similar problem.

We couldn't fix it for him. :(

3. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

Go to Start>Run, type in "appwiz.cpl" (without the quotes) and click OK (or press Enter).

f it doesn't start, you can try replacing it with a new copy through System File Checker. Rather than running the whole SFC routine, you can go to Start>Run, type in "msconfig" (without the quotes), click OK and on the General tab, click the "Expand File" button. Tell it you want to extract appwiz.cpl, tell it to extract it from either C:\I386 or your XP CD (which you'll need to put in the CD drive) and tell it to extract it to C:\Windows\System32.

4. hopperdave2000

hopperdave2000 MajorGeek

Thanx for the info and the quick response :) I'll give it a shot and we'll see how it goes. Thanx again!
    I did run appwiz.cpl before I first posted and it runs as it should, but that one program "My Way Search Assistant" doesn't have the remove button... but I'll try the fix posted by Tim and hopefully that will 'restore' the freekin button!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds