Best software outbound connection manager? (firewall)

Discussion in 'Software' started by javyn winterkhaos, Apr 20, 2004.

1. javyn winterkhaos

javyn winterkhaos Private E-2

Hey guys. I just recently got a Netgear router, which is EXCELLENT as far as blocking ports and scans, and whatnot.

I was just wondering if any of you out there knew of any software firewall apps that ONLY monitor outbound connections? Memory is an issue, the smaller, the better. I don't want a software firewall to take care of inbound and outbound traffic, that would be redundant and a waste of memory.

My Netgear SVS318 with 2.2alpha firmware got a perfect score on every test on GRC except for the outbound protection (duh, its a hardware firewall/router).

So really there is no need for Zone Alarm or Norton that protect against inbound attacks/probes since the Router does it perfectly.

Are there actually tiny little apps out there that would notify you when an application is trying access the net (just in case you get a trojan, ya never know)?

Like I said before, and I'll say again, I DO NOT want a software firewall that monitors inbound connections. 1. they dont do as good a job as hardware nat routers, 2. if you already have a router, thats just unecessary bloat.

I already have enough junk in my system tray, I don't want to bog down my poor p2 400 too much now! :(

Thanks a bunch guys, ANY tips or recommendations would be appreciated!

John

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

To be honest, I have looked for the last 20mins to find an outgoing blocking firewall ONLY program and all software firewalls are setup to block both incoming packets and alert you to software attempting outgoing access, that not to say there isnt one I just havnt come across it yet.

YES I know you strictly asked for a outgoing firewall but unless you can find one then the next best thing I can suggest is this free one with a small footprint.........
    http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4146.html

PS. if you do find one let us know as I would be interested as I too have a router but use ZA to block outgoing apps as I don't have the same system specs as you i'm not that concerned with CPU or memory constraints.

3. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Very nice app Abby :)

4. javyn winterkhaos

javyn winterkhaos Private E-2

Hey I'm trying out this System Saftey Monitor and it's working great, but I have a ? for Abbey or anyone else familiar with this app....

Something has disabled Flashplayer on MyIE2. I'm thinking it could either be this or Spywareblaster, but I don't remember either one have any setting for blocking flash sites.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds