STOP c000021a Windows Logon Process 0xc0000005

Discussion in 'Software' started by jessbur1, Nov 20, 2006.

1. jessbur1

jessbur1 Private E-2

Ok, im getting that error code at windows boot up. The box says windows starting up, then the computer restarts and goes through the same cycle. I have went to numerous microsoft support site with no avail. This occured directly after installing a SP2 for XP Pro. Do I need to format and re-install, or is there another workaround? The only thing running at startup is Yahoo Messenger and Panda antivirus 2006. Any help would be awesome. Thanks in advance.

2. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

Recommend that you check the event logs for further diagnostic information. To do so, please do the following:

1. Right-click 'My Computer'
    2. Select 'Manage'
    3. On the 'Computer Management' window, expand 'Event Viewer'

Check the 'Application' and 'System' logs for red x's and/or yellow exclamation marks that correspond to the error messages you receive. Post back with the event id number, the source, and the description text.

3. TimW

TimW MajorGeeks Administrator - Jedi Malware Expert Staff Member

4. Mada_Milty

Mada_Milty MajorGeek

5. jessbur1

jessbur1 Private E-2

I've tried all that, nothing works. And to Mada, the system will not boot at all therefore your suggestion will not work. It will not boot in Safe Mode, nor with any other configuration. I can get to the logon screen in safe mode but when i enter my password it fails to load windows. Also, I cannot use a bootable xp cd. Even though the cd/r is being detected in the bios. Very peculiar happening this time. It's growing into a severe headache since even reformatting seems to be impossible at this point. Keep them suggestions rolling in. Thanks,

Jesse

6. TimW

7. TimW

C:\WINNT\SYSTEM32\MSGINA.DLL Should be the registry value ...expect it's been changed.
    Stop 0xC000021A or STATUS_SYSTEM_PROCESS_TERMINATED

"This message indicates a serious security problem with Windows XP—a user-mode subsystem, such as Winlogon or the Client Server Runtime Subsystem (Csrss.exe), is compromised. The most common cause of this problem is a third-party program, and the solution is usually to remove that program. This error can also occur if a backup set has been partially restored, causing a mismatch in system files, or if system permissions have been incorrectly modified so that the System account no longer has permission to access system files and folders."

8. jessbur1

jessbur1 Private E-2

I'm not a total idiot. I changed the boot sequence, yet the CD i obtained is not bootable. I need a boot diskette. And, even if those values you have mentioned have changed, I still have the problem of actually getting windows to load in safe or normal mode to modify the settings that might be causing conflict.

9. TimW

10. jessbur1

jessbur1 Private E-2

Thanks for the help and sorry if i insinuated that you were calling me an idiot. :) Hopefully using the boots will allow me to reformat and/or repair. Thanks again,

Jesse

11. TimW

12. jessbur1

jessbur1 Private E-2

Here's a another question. How do you go about finding out the administrator password? The computer was purchased at auction, therefore I have no way of knowing what the admin password is.

13. TimW

Probably wasn't set (just leave blank and hit enter)....however, if this is caused by malware...typing in a random password would / might let you in as that may be what they are phishing for.

But then, if bought from auction ...you would be besty to install a clean copy of xp.

14. jessbur1

jessbur1 Private E-2

Yes it was set and a random doesn't allow access. I will try a installation repair and then if nothing else, try a reformat.

15. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

If you have any USB devices hooked up try removing them and see if it boots.

Steve

16. jessbur1

jessbur1 Private E-2

No usb devices attatched. No boot.

17. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

What brand of computer is it?

Steve

18. jessbur1

jessbur1 Private E-2

Custom Build.

1.3 Athlon Thunderbird
    asus a7n 266 mobo
    256 pc 2100 ddr ram

19. Matacumbie

Matacumbie Rocky Top

OK. I thought F11 or F2 might help on boot, but if it's a custom I doubt it.

Steve

20. jessbur1

jessbur1 Private E-2

No, the good ole' delete key accesses the BIOS in this case.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds