Looking for a possible work-around - Please help!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by DigitalSwag, Sep 6, 2007.

1. DigitalSwag

DigitalSwag Private E-2

My wifes IBM clone just passed away - it just won't turn on anymore. I tried to take her HD's out of her old HP and put them into and home built AMD. However, none of the HD's respond with the AMD board when I attempt to power up the AMD pc that now has the HD's from the Intel pc.

Is there a way to fix this so my wife does not lose her HD information? I have done pretty good in the past with pc's however, this one is stumping me.

Any help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. tunered

tunered MajorGeek

Hook up your ibm hd as a slave on a running pc with a working hd, you can acsess the info but not windows. ed

3. DigitalSwag

DigitalSwag Private E-2

"Wife" here:

Unfortunately...he has a MAC. They say that's like being an Elvis man, or a Beatles man, lol. =)

More the point, is there any known issue with swapping a HDD that was set-up/configged on an Intel motherboard? I.e. popping it onto an AMD motherboard? Hubby seems to think the AMD/Intel thing is the issue.

Thanks all!

4. Fred_G

Fred_G Heat packin' geek

The drive will work as a slave. The Intel/AMD thing is not a problem. The drive will not work as a boot drive on a different motherboard.

Do like tunered said and hook the drive up as a slave. When starting the PC, hit the key to get into the BIOS (should be DEL, F2, or something). See if the computer 'sees' the slave drive. Are you getting an error message when you try to boot?

E

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds