Modem Error Code 10 with every restart. Please help.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by onelargeprawn, Nov 5, 2004.

1. onelargeprawn

onelargeprawn Private E-2

Hi,

I am quite frustrated with this modem problem. I am running Windows XP SP1, and have an Intel(R) 537 Data Fax Voice Modem. When I get properties on my modem from device manager it displays the yellow exclamation marks and says device cannot start (code 10). So I reinstall the modem drivers from the CD and it seems to install fine, but at the end of the Wizard, there's a yellow exclamation mark on the Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device. I check the properties of it, and it says the device is working properly. And I can use the modem to connect to the Internet. But whenever I restart the computer, device manager still displays the yellow exclamation marks and says device cannot start (Code 10)!!

I have taken the card out and put it back in and installed the drivers. The modem works while I use the computer but everytime I restart it, the yellow exclamation mark appears next to the modem!

Can anyone offer some advice?

2. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

hi and welcome to MG!

are you installing the modem drivers directly from the cd (like inserting it and letting it load up with the software etc) or are you installing it from the add new hardware wizard in control panel?
    also, you could try installing other drivers from say driverguide.com (you have to sign up but its free) - they have practically every driver you could ask for, i've found that sometimes there's better drivers on there than the ones that come with my hardware!

3. onelargeprawn

Hi mcadam88

Thanks for the reply. I am downloading the Intel(R) 537 Data Fax Voice Modem from driversguide now.

To answer your question, I have tried it both ways - installing drivers directly from the CD, and through the Add New Hardware Wizard. Thing is that the modem dirvers install fine, and I can actually connect to the Internet, the problem happens whenever I reboot the Computer, the yellow exclamation is next to the modem again.

Under the Sound, video and game controllers section, there is the "Unimodem Half-Duplex Audio Device". When I access the properties of the Modem Wave Driver, it says that the Driver is enabled but not functioning properly. The driver is MODEMSCSA.sys in the \System32\Drivers folder. Do you think it is this that is causing the problem everytime I reboot?

4. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

hmmmm it sounds weird that you can install it and it works and then you reboot and it doesn't. have you restarted the computer after installing the hardware? i'm puzzled as to why it works and then doesn't work!!!

5. Novice

Novice MajorGeek

Have you tried uninstalling the device through device manager, running a registry cleaner, reinstalling the drivers, and then rebooting? I install a few 3Com modems, and this is the method that I use. I had one Win98 system where I had to physically remove the modem, reboot, install the drivers, shut the system down, replace the modem, and then boot, to ever get the system to accept the modem. Never did figure out why, but it worked! Hope this helps. :)

6. Rob M.

Rob M. First Sergeant

I'd add one additional step to the above.

Before you remove the modem, remove the drivers in the Device Manager. Then shut down (don't reboot) and remove the modem. Then re-start, and let Windows rebuild its system registry files. Then try reinstalling from there. It's worked for me a couple of times in Win9x systems.

7. onelargeprawn

Figured it out. Something wrong with the Nvidia drivers for my integrated graphics card. Uninstalled the latest ones and went back to an earlier version. Everything is OK now. Thanks mcadam88, Novice, and Rob M for the help.

Maybe you could help with something else - I need to purchase a real graphics card that will be able to handle games like Manhunt, Doom3 and the upcoming Half Life 2. I am considering one of the following:
    1. AOpen® nVidia GeForce FX5700LE AGP8x 128MB DDR , 256-Bit GPU Technology with TV-out & DVI output - DirectX 9.0 & OpenGL
    2. GIGABYTE® ATI Radeon 9600 PRO AGP8x 128MB 128-bit DDR / TV-Out + DVI / DirectX 9 + OpenGL / Multi-View Function

I'd rather ask people that may have actually used the product day to day rather than read a review that just tested the product once for the purpose of a review. Might any of you have opinions?

8. mcadam

mcadam Major Amnesia

if you want to be running big games such as doom 3 and upcoming halflife 2, then i really would edge you to upgrade the ram to 256mb, 128 won't be enough if you want to enjoy it.

9. {wizard}

{wizard} Private First Class

always depends on the rest of your system, but i would suggest the 6800 series from nvidia or the x800 series from ati,

best bang for the buck...

also for budget systems, 9800 series from ati, or 5900 series from nvidia

also 128mb or 256mb....doesn't matter for now, even doom3 doesn't take full advantage of having 256mb of onboard ram

hope that helps

10. Rob M.

Rob M. First Sergeant

Who would have thunk it? Not me. Thanks for letting us know!

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds