Using Linux to save data from windo$se - but I'm stuck

Discussion in 'Software' started by Pete22, Feb 7, 2012.

1. Pete22

Pete22 Private First Class

Hello to my Geeky friends,

I have finally found a wine program that will run the Last win program that I need. So I can now say goodby to windows vista. I'm sooooo glad. I am using puppy linux and really like it.

I made a mistake trying to get data off the drive with a windows program. So I thought my linux would help. It has all the other times. But I really have done a whopper this time. My guess is, I accidentally sent the stuff I was trying to remove, back to the same hard drive in instead of moving it to the new one. As a result, there is not even ONE Byte of space left on it. :-o

When I go to dastardly said hard drive I try to move something ,and it will not move. So I found a file I no longer wanted, and tried to delete it. Linux said it could not create a trash file.

Could you give me some educated ideas of how to get the data I still want from this drive?

Pete22

2. hawklord

hawklord Master Sergeant

is your puppy a full install ?

is the drive a separate drive from the install (if you have installed)

3. Pete22

Hello hawlord,

Good question.

I was using a live cd, just to get the data.

The full drive is a partition on a hard drive. I also want the stuff off the other partition. It is full but not CRAMMED full.

Would doing a fugal install of puppy linux to a usb drive work?

Thanks for your help.

Pete22

4. hawklord

hawklord Master Sergeant

i've never had much luck installing puppy, but others have, so i'm not going to advise either way,

but what i can say is - i have a knoppix bootable usb drive which i can transfer files to cd/dvd or a usb enclosure in case of system malfunction (actually done it)

the error is something i have not come across but i think its because you do not own /.local/share/trash and being a live cd this maybe a little hard changing ownership,

so, in essence, you can retrieve the data via bootable usb or install a linux of your choice - but not use the whole drive - and with the amazing ntfs-3g, access all your files with full read/write access,
    if the drive is formated ntfs,

if its ext2, 3 or 4 then its just as easy,

let us know before you proceed and either i or someone else can advise more

5. Pete22

I have used the knoppix live cd but was told once rolleyes that it could not be installed anywhere.

I tried to find something out about it on line, but I guess few people have made this mistake

That is very possible, especially in Vista.

I would like to try putting a linux on the part of the hard drive that is not full first.. I could still resort to creating a USB bootable drive if I have too.

The drive is formated ntfs. -ntfs-3g is something new to me, so this will be an adventure.

I will be reformating it as ext4.

I wouldn't mind learning to do an install of knoppix. I need to download a fresh .iso as my disc is several years old. I want to make sure it works. I appreciate the offer of a walk through, because I can get confused: which is the reason for my problem in the first place.

Thanks,

Pete

6. hawklord

hawklord Master Sergeant

interesting - install knoppix

http://www.pendrivelinux.com/install-knoppix-6-to-a-usb-flash-drive-in-windows/

the /.local/share/trash is a file on the live cd and has nothing to do with vista,

when installing linux you can get a couple of ways to install, guided, full install to disk (wipes everything) or manual partitioning,
    you do not need to format the whole disk, most will format when you are happy with the layout of your partitions,
    one of the ntfs partitions will be shrunk accordingly,

just as a note,
    i have my linux partitions as ext3 (this option can also be chosen over the default ext4) as i use partimage for imaging my / partition,
    partimage does not support ext4,
    (clonezilla is also an option which does support ext4, but i find partimage a little easier)

linux can be confusing as its not windows, but it gets easier with time (so i'm told:-D:-D)

and for a little light reading, this is the version of linux i use

http://www.dedoimedo.com/computers/mandriva-2010.html

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds