harddrive disappeared a couple hours after format

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by scoobydoo1952, Feb 9, 2007.

1. scoobydoo1952

scoobydoo1952 Private E-2

Hi, I got this drive for christmas. I installed it into the comp properly. I assigned the letter "D" and then initialized it. It seemed to format easily. I ran a virus scan and adware scans before attempting the format. I have put some files on it. Then a couple of hours later I found I could no longer locate the drive. It was no longer visible in disk management. I have tried to rescan with no results. However it is visible in the bios.

There were two error messages. The first was as follows, Type- Error, Source Service Control Manager, Event ID, 7023. Description; The application mangement service terminated with the following error. The specified module could not be found. The second error message said, Type Warning, Source, Disk, Event Id, 51. Description; An error was detected on device \device\harddisk2\D during a paging operation.

The o/s is windows xp home. The comp is a 2.4 ghz with 512 ram. The original harddrive is a 40 gig Maxtor. The new drive i was trying to get working is a Westerb Digital 160 gig - WD1600JB.

2. Absolutexero

Absolutexero Private E-2

XP sometimes has problems running 2 hard drives on one IDE cable, try manually setting them as master and slave with the jumpers if that doesnt help see if you can download WD Data Lifeguard, if im not mistaken it has a diagnosis program for WD HDDs

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds