Cannot install quicktime,windows utility, superspyware and etc...

Discussion in 'Software' started by drj2000s, Dec 25, 2008.

1. drj2000s

drj2000s Private E-2

my cpu is a mess there's alot of different software I can't install, either I get an error message or like with the itunes it will say the installation of quicktime did not complete successfully.:cry

2. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Hi

What Windows version and its it fully upto date?

What are the error messages in full and verbatim as they are crucial to finding whats going on?

Try looking in Event Viewer (located in Control Panel > Adminstrative Tools) for any error message and error code aroudn the time of a failed install and post what it says.

Is your PC malware free, have you scanned?

Are you installing these applications in the Admin account if NT/W2k/XP/Vista? if you are then at times older junk in the temp folders can cause installes to fail so install CCleaner and run its cleaner, then try with an application again.

3. drj2000s

drj2000s Private E-2

I'm running XP.

The error messages are different depending on the applications I'm trying to install.

In the event veiwer it won't let me copy or cut the info so I can post it.

As far as I know I ran AVAST ANTIVIRIUS and it is clean.

AS far as Admin account I don't know about. I have ccleaner and ran it a few times.

4. drj2000s

drj2000s Private E-2

I tried to install SuperAntiSpyware and it gave me this error message: error 1317. An error occured while attempting to create the directory: C:\Documents and Settings\Owener\Application Data.

5. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Error 1317 for C:\Documents and Settings\Owener\Application Data
    means that the account under the name Owener does not have permission to install anything.
    You need to create an account with administrative permissions so you can install things.

When you are prompted to login, what accounts can you pick from?

6. drj2000s

drj2000s Private E-2

I don't login, I'm always logged on I guess...

7. plodr

Go to Start / Control Panel / User Accounts
    and turn off Auto login in but before you do, what accounts do you see there?

8. drj2000s

drj2000s Private E-2

I see Owner and Guest accounts.

9. plodr

Is this a typo in your post at # 4
    C:\Documents and Settings\Owener\Application Data ?

10. drj2000s

drj2000s Private E-2

yes, I'm sorry it should be owner...

11. plodr

Open Control Panel, then Administrative Tools then Computer Management. In the left pane, click on the + in front of Local users and Groups. Then on Users. Do you see three accounts? Owner, Administrator and Guest?
    Right click on Owner and select Properties. Then click on the Member of tab. You should see administrators in there.

If you can not get to it, then your Owner account is very limited, in which case you need to log in as the Administrator and change the permissions for the Owner account so you can install software.

12. drj2000s

drj2000s Private E-2

I don't have Local users and groups on here....

13. plodr

I don't know what to tell you at this point.

14. carpelgin

carpelgin Private E-2

Sounds like you have XP Home, which won't let you get to that tab.

But you can do something similar:

1. Go to Start > Run… and type in (without quotes) "control userpasswords2". Then click the OK button.
    2. If the Owner account is a Limited User and not a Computer Administrator, then you should get a request that looks like this….

[​IMG]

Most likely there isn't a password for the Administrator user account, so just click OK.
      If the empty password doesn't work, then you may find it with the documentation that came with your computer.

3. You should now see the "User Accounts" window.

[​IMG]

Check to see that the Owner account is a member of the "Users" group. (It's also called Limited Users and Restricted Users in different places, which can make it confusing.)
      If Owner is a member of the "Administrators" group (or another group,) then you might have some other problem… but I'll assume you don't.

4. To add a new (administrative) user account:
      • Make sure that the box next to "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" is checked
      • Click the Add… button.
      • On the "Add New User" window:
        • Enter a name for your new user.
        • (Optional) If you want, you can also enter the full name and description.
        • Click the Next button.
        • Enter a password for the new account. As always, you should use a strong password.
        • Click the Next button

[​IMG]

• Select the circle next to Other to get a list of more access (group) options.
        • Choose "Administrators" from the drop-down list.
        • Then click the Finish button.
      • Your new user should now show up in the list.

5. If you still want the computer to automatically log in to your old account:
      • Select "Owner" on the Users for this computer list.
      • Uncheck the "Users must enter a user name and password to use this computer" box.
      • Click the Apply button.
      • On the "Automatically Log On" window:
        • Make sure the user name is the one you want logged in.
        • Enter your password twice.
        • Click OK to close the password window.

6. Once you have finished everything up. Click on OK, to close the window.

* Note: To log onto the new account, you will need to log off from the Owner account before logging into your new (administrative) account.

I hope this works out for you.

Attached Files:

15. drj2000s

drj2000s Private E-2

The Owner is is listed in the Administrator group.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds