Windows not starting- possible harddrive issue?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Huey P, Dec 1, 2004.

1. Huey P

Huey P Private E-2

Okay, where to begin...

11/22- My computer all of a sudden restarts on its own, and keeps restarting. It gets to the Windows loading screen and after a second restarts again. I find a solution on this board- boot from windows disc and in the recovery console, type chkdsk /r. Voila.

11/30- I try to install the Photoshop CS trial on one of my two hds- (F). Halfway through install, I hear the drive click to a stop, and then spin up again. It does this twice, and then it restarts on its own before finishing. And it keeps restarting. It gets to the Windows loading screen, loads for a minute, then restarts again. So I shut it down.

12/1- I turn on my computer, and whaddaya know- it starts right up. Fearing my hd(s) are failing, I start backing up files on cds. Then the burning program glitches, so I Start>Shutdown>Restart, and it powers down fine. But as it boots back up, I get an error message, telling me Windows can't start and I should boot from the Windows disc and hit r to get to the recovery console. (It didn't tell me what else to do, but I figured chkdsk would work.) So I type in chkdsk /r, and it loads away. Getting to only 75%, I get another message- "volume contains one or more unrecoverable errors." I type it again. Same thing.

Which brings me here.
    Is there anything I can do? I can RMA my hds, but I'm not sure if it's one or both of them (or neither!). I wouldn't mind reformatting if only I could back up a few more files- is it possible to get my system running again, if only temporarily?
    Thanks in advance!
    This site is a lifesaver- if I hadn't come across that chkdsk trick, I would've already reformatted. Thank you so much, everyone!

Windows XP SP1
    Western Digital 80gb 8mb (x2, not RAIDed)
    P4 2.4ghz
    1024mb DDR333
    Radeon 9500 Pro

2. ArchAngel

ArchAngel Sergeant

During boot-up, right after the post, hit the F8 key. It will bring up some boot choices. Select something along the line of rebooting with the last configuration that worked.
    Hopefully that works.

3. Rob M.

Rob M. First Sergeant

Re: Windows not starting- possible PSU issue?

Archangel offered some good suggestions about getting back to where you want to be with your software, but I am suspicious of your power supply. It may be dying or overheating. Or is it just overloaded?

I can't think of any other reason that a hard drive would shut itself down while the computer is running. And if it's not under control of the operating system when it shuts down, any file being written at the time is going to get corrupted -- hence your need to run CHKDSK.

An erratic power supply is a possible explanation for the other symptoms you described as well.

4. Huey P

Huey P Private E-2

Hmmm, how could I check to see if it's the power supply?
    It's an Antec TruePower 430watt, running all this:

Western Digital 80gb 8mb (x2, not RAIDed)
    P4 2.4ghz
    1024mb DDR333
    Radeon 9500 Pro
    SB Audigy
    CD Burner
    DVD-ROM
    and three 80mm case fans

Sound like too much?

5. Rob M.

Rob M. First Sergeant

I'd guess that a 430-watt PSU ought to be able to handle that load without difficulty. But you could can calculate your system's needs at <http://www.jscustompcs.com/power_supply/> and avoid guessing.

But how to check out my theory? The only answer I can think of -- especially given the intermittent nature of your symptoms -- is to swap in another PSU and see if your machine then behaves itself. The installation isn't difficult, but it probably means you'll have to lay out a few bucks.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds