Which GPU to get?

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by titanium69, Jul 30, 2010.

1. titanium69

titanium69 Private E-2

Hey, so my current GPU is basically finished.. its whats causing me so much problems (check the corresponding section and you`ll find 1 or 2 threads) so i said enough and i want to upgrade it.

So bascially my machine looks like this

E6600 *2.4Ghz with seperately bought fan (i didnt want the crappy stock fan) (afaik Socket 775)
    2GB Corsair 667mhz DDR2

GA-965P-DS3 - (some details about just incase you are interested in them) http://www.gigabyte.us/products/product-page.aspx?pid=2510#ov

7900GTX 512mb(not for long...;))
    Tagan 600W PSU
    HDD ~232G 7200RPM i forgot the brand.. it was a good one though
    windows XP :)confused)

The whole machine is about 4years old.

I`m looking to spend around 100 euros/130 US dollars

Which GPU do you suggest?

2. pclover

pclover MajorGeek

I would suggest something like a GTS 250

3. titanium69

titanium69 Private E-2

i have lost touch with the PC hardware/software market.. i will have to after checking out all your suggestions.. update myself a bit

Regardign DirectX11.. obviously i cannot use it with Win XP.. I`m guessing i`d have to get Win 7 (Correct me if i`m wrong).

4. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

Hi

I agree an Nvidia GTS 250 sounds like a good card for your price range. And yes, if you plan on using DirectX 10 or 11, you will need to upgrade your OS, as Windows XP only supports UP to DirectX 9.

5. Digerati

Digerati Major Geek Extraordinaire

6. titanium69

titanium69 Private E-2

when does the august one come out? :p

Are there any imminent release of new grfx cards or any happenings that would change the prices of the gpus or effect the buying of them? Because I wouldnt mind waiting a bit, I`m not exactly DYING to buy it.. perhaps i could wait 1-3weeks more.

What about ATI? I see no one has mentioned it.

7. Digerati

Any day now. If you look, that one came out on the 5th. Previous months were about the same.

8. titanium69

titanium69 Private E-2

thanks for the help.. i settled on the GTX 460.. now i just have to look for a suitable 1080p monitor.. any ideas?

9. Digerati

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds