Opinions on water cooling

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by the mekanic, Jun 9, 2012.

1. the mekanic

the mekanic Major Mekanical Geek

2. the mekanic

Well, seeing as how I'd like to keep my CPU under 50 C while folding at home, I think I'm going to go with the H80.

Any feedback?

3. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

What CPU and are you overclocking?
    Are you going to run 24/7 folding?
    Most water coolers that come pre-packaged do about the same job as a mid level air cooling set up.

I have an H50 and ran either an i7 920 or 950, both OCed to a shade under 4 Ghz and temps on both were high 60s to low 70s C running 24/7 folding big-adv units before I stopped.

4. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

The H80 is a good cooler,you haven't posted your cpu or its speed but unless its heavily over clocked you should be able to keep it under 50C without having the fan at 100%.

5. the mekanic

Yeah, forgot that part.

Phenom X2 Callisto 555, unlocked to X4 running on an Asus Sabertooth. I thought about stepping it to 17, and that would run it at 4.0 GHz. I don't want to step it like that on air, though because it would probably hit 60C in a heartbeat.

:cool

Last edited: Jun 10, 2012
  6. lbmest

lbmest MajorGeek

Just remember, there is stable overclock for gaming and stable overclock for folding.
    Folding overclock is generally less as folding stresses everything to the max especially if you run 24/7.

7. the mekanic

So it would seem the best thing to do is create separate BIOS profiles for folding versus gaming.

I haven't gotten into the specifics of running FAH yet, and what it requires of the hardware.

Maybe I should cobble together a "frankenPC" from the spare parts I have laying around, and dedicate it to FAH.

8. Rikky

Well I test my overclocks with Intel burn test or any similar linpack stress test,occt,linkx ect. set the priority to real time allow all available memory.

It will run your cpu 5-10c hotter than anything other test including FH so if it can pass that it can pass anything.

9. the mekanic

Rikky I swear by AMD.

I have an old FX CPU and some memory, so what I think I will do is cobble a dedicated build and leave it in "the corner"...

10. Rikky

You can stress test any CPU with it;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds