cannot connect to ftp server

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by chameleon, Oct 14, 2006.

1. chameleon

chameleon Private E-2

hi all :) im new to this and this is my first thread so please be gentle.I have a major problem and hope someone out there can help.I have some knowledge on computing but folks this one beats me so here go's I have a p4 3gh system running xp pro with updated service pack 2 3gb 3200 ddr ram, 4x 80 gb sata hdd on a asus p4c800e deluxe mobo i am connected to the internet through a netgear dg834pn wireless rangemax router on a bt broadband account.connected to this via rj45 i have a asus wl-hdd 2.5 ftp server the main computer is also connected via rj45.now for the problem i have been running my ftp server with no problems for approx 2 years through a wireless belkin router but a neccesary upgrade to the netgear was called for.since i have changed to the netgear i have had very little success in connecting to my ftp site it only connected for approx 2 days.netgear support cannot help i have forwarded ports 20& 21 via the web interface and routed the address to my ftp server ip address i also run dns2go to route my external ip address to my internal address at the ftp server i can connect to my server via the run command and typing ftp://"name@domainname.co.uk this will bring up my log on page i enter my password and i connect. when i type in my external address into ie it will take me to the netgear webpage but if i type in ftp://name@domainename.co.uk i get an error windows cannot access this folder makesure you have typed the name correctly and that you have permission to access the folder the connection with the server was reset.i have checked with can you see me .org and it tells me that port 21 is open but port 20 is blocked (even though i have opened it via the router) i have also put my ip address in the dmz and also closed the entire firewall on the router.
    sorry this is such a long intro but i wanted to give you as much info as i could as i have been working on this for a fortnight now and i feel that i have tried just about everything hope someone outtheir can help. chameleon

2. chameleon

chameleon Private E-2

Hi managed to solve the problem but i still cannot connect via my computer but others can via ie.I have changed the enable folder view in tools advanced but then i get a cannot connect to the internet page even though i can surf the net.any suggestions welcome

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds