Bridging throught wifi problem

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by oen, May 13, 2012.

1. oen

oen Private E-2

I have a problem with wifi bridging.

My home web:

First LAN 192.168.0.*:
    PrimaryRouter.192.168.0.1 - thomson TWG870U - connected to internet throught WAN port - works ok
    TowerPC.198.168.0.5 - connected to PrimaryRouter through Ethernet cable - works ok
    Laptop.192.168.0.* - connected to PrimaryRouter through Wifi - works ok

Second LAN 192.168.1.*:
    SecondaryRouter.192.168.1.1 - tplink TL-WR841N - connected to PrimaryRouter through WIFI Bridge WDS (Status: running)
    Laptop.192.168.1.2 - connected to SecondaryRouter through Ethernet Cable

what I want to achieve:
    I want to be able to connect from Laptop.192.168.1.2 to internet and also to other 192.168.0.* computers

I have tried a lot of different configurations. I will describe the last one in which I am able to ping from Laptop.192.168.1.2 to PrimaryRouter.192.168.0.1.

My solution:
    PrimaryRouter LAN IP Address is: 192.168.0.1
    PrimaryRouter DHCP server enabled
    PrimaryRouter WAN settings are ok - internet and intranet on First LAN is working properly

SecondaryRouter LAN IP Address is: 192.168.1.1
    SecondaryRouter has WBS status: Running
    SecondaryRouter Advanced routing - Destination Network: 192.168.0.0, Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1 (I do not think that it should be added but without this one I cannot ping from Laptop.192.168.1.2 to PrimaryRouter.192.168.0.1.
    SecondaryRouter DHCP server disabled
    SecondaryRouter WAN settings Dynamic IP - not set (WAN port is unplugged)
    SecondaryRouter Wireless settings the same that those in PrimaryRouter
    SecondaryRouter SPI Firewall disabled

My Secondary LAN Laptop has Static IP: 192.168.1.2 (if I set up to obtain address automatically than it cannot obtain address)
    My Secondary LAN Laptop has Static Default Gateway: 192.168.1.1

What I can do with above settings:
    Ping from Laptop.192.168.1.2 to SecondaryRouter.192.168.1.1
    Ping from Laptop.192.168.1.2 to PrimaryRouter.192.168.0.1 (It proves that there is wifi bridge)

Ping from PrimaryRouter.192.168.0.1 to www.google.com (First LAN works ok)
    Ping from PrimaryRouter.192.168.0.1 to TowerPC.198.168.0.5 (First LAN works ok)

Ping from SecondaryRouter.192.168.1.1 to PrimaryRouter.192.168.0.1

What I cannot do but I would like to achieve:
    Ping from Laptop.192.168.1.2 to www.google.com
    Ping from Laptop.192.168.1.2 to TowerPC.198.168.0.5
    Ping from SecondaryRouter.192.168.1.1 to TowerPC.198.168.0.5

I know that after everything is set up correctly I should turn off static IP on Laptop.192.168.1.2 but when I do it my Laptop will not get IP address.

Another additional information is that when I tracert:
    from Laptop.192.168.1.2 to PrimaryRouter.192.168.0.1 then ouptup is:
    Laptop.192.168.1.2 -> SecondaryRouter.192.168.1.1 -> PrimaryRouter.192.168.0.1

but when I tracert:
    from Laptop.192.168.1.2 to TowerPC.198.168.0.5 then ouptup is:
    Laptop.192.168.1.2 -> SecondaryRouter.192.168.1.1 -> Destination host unreachable

and when I tracert:
    from Laptop.192.168.1.2 to 173.194.35.178 (www.google.com) then 192.168.1.1 reports that Destination host is unreachable

and when I tracert:
    from SecondaryRouter.192.168.1.1 to TowerPC.198.168.0.5 it even do not jump to PrimaryRouter.192.168.0.1

can anyone help?

2. collinsl

collinsl MajorGeek

may i ask why you need two networks? I think that most of your problems are caused by the fact that two networks with a subnet mast of 255.255.255.0 are designed not to talk to each other. Try setting the subnet mast on both router's DHCP servers to 255.255.0.0

3. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

I see a few little things but I would have to look at a wireless config that i have here to compare for anything major. Can't remember the password and it's not in the "book" so that's something to do tomorrow.

Just quickly, I think something is odd about the gateway on the second router too. What if you make it 192.168.0.1? That is where the internet really is.

Yes, you need a static ip on the laptop connected to the second router. You turned off DHCP so that router isn't issuing IP's to any computers that connect to the LAN side of it. Leave it static or use DHCP, either one works.

I think the gateway setting on the second router could be part of the key to figuring this out. Hopefully i'll be able to say 100% tomorrow.

4. oen

oen Private E-2

The first one is connected to internet and there is my server and printer connected to the first/primary router through ethernet cable.

In the second room I have ps3 and I have no possibility co connect it to the first router with ethernet cable.
    I thought that I could buy wifi bridge (b/g/n), connect ps3 to this bridge (throught ethernet 100Mbps) and then ps3 could communicate to my primary network with better speed (ps3 has only 50Mbps wifi - this is definitely not enough for HD movies)

I tried it didn`t help. I also tried this configuration:

PrimaryRouter WAN settings are ok - internet and intranet on First LAN is working properly

SecondaryRouter LAN IP Address is: 192.168.0.2
    SecondaryRouter has WBS status: Running

My Secondary LAN Laptop has Static IP: 192.168.0.3 (if I set up to obtain address automatically than it cannot obtain address)
    My Secondary LAN Laptop has Static Default Gateway: 192.168.0.1 (also tried 192.168.0.2)

I can Ping from Laptop.192.168.0.3 to SecondaryRouter.192.168.0.2
    I cannot Ping from Laptop.192.168.0.3 to PrimaryRouter.192.168.0.1
    I can Ping from PrimaryRouter.192.168.0.1 to www.google.com (First LAN works ok)
    I can Ping from PrimaryRouter.192.168.0.1 to TowerPC.198.168.0.5 (First LAN works ok)
    I can Ping from SecondaryRouter.192.168.0.2 to PrimaryRouter.192.168.0.1 (wifi bridge somehow works)

I still cannot Ping from Laptop.192.168.0.3 to www.google.com
    I still cannot Ping from Laptop.192.168.0.3 to TowerPC.198.168.0.5
    I still cannot Ping from SecondaryRouter.192.168.0.2 to TowerPC.198.168.0.5
    I still cannot get dynamic ip for Laptop.192.168.0.3 when connected to SecondaryRouter.192.168.0.2 through ethernet cable (dhcp client)

can anyone help?

5. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

On the second router, the WAN ip needs to be in the range of 192.168.0.X and the LAN side range needs to be something else, try 192.168.5.X. Turn DHCP on for the second router. For the gateway on the second router, you'll have to try it out, it should probably be 192.168.0.1.

Add: The laptop connected to the second router, remove the static IP and let it obtain an IP in the new range.

6. bvuk

bvuk Private E-2

Hi,
    Have you managed to get it working? I've got the same hardware and the same problem.
    I also noticed a strange problem with Thompson.
    If I set Bridge (WDS) (on Thompson) with the correct MAC of TPlink wifi then TPlink cannot establish WDS connection: it keeps changing status from Auth to Access.
    If I set incorrect MAC on Thompson's Bridge or EVEN disable bridging TPlink sets the WDS status to Run.
    IMHO there really is no WDS bridge between TPlink and Thompson and TPlink just connects straight to Thompson AP. And in this setup I can't set the routing right.

Any thoughts?

Best wishes,
    B

7. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Dump the second router, you do not need it. All you need is either a Bridge, which can allow you to extend your wired network, without running wires, or use Ethernet over Power, which will also work as a bridge.

All you are doing, is making things hard on yourself, and unless you are doing this to keep others off of the primary or secondary network, there is no need.

8. bvuk

bvuk Private E-2

I'm almost sure, that I know what I'm doing :).
    I need a high speed connection between two rooms. I've got 60Mb/s internet connection and when I connect directly using my laptop and my computer with wifi I got 15Mb/s max.
    What a waste!
    My second room is all wired so I really need only point to point wifi connection between rooms.

Does anybody know is WDS working with Thompson 870UG?

B

9. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Depends on the Operating system, and what card the laptop has. My netbook has a B/G/N card, but I only connect with G at home. Because I run Ubuntu, I get around 13mbps which is fine for a wifi connection, for what I use, but my ISP speed is 24.

What OS are you running, what is the manuf. & model of the laptop you are using? What is the wifi equipment manuf. & model numbers? Is this router the one directly connected to your modem, that you are having problems with?

10. bvuk

bvuk Private E-2

Whoa! I was working all Saturday, but I've managed to do that (to some point at least).
    I've made a decission and flashed my tplink WR841ND with OpenWrt firmware. An then that was easy :-D. As I thought Thomson's WDS wasn't really working so:
    1. I left Thomson be with standard setup. I connected my laptop with tplink using plain ethernet cable.
    2. I split tplink Lan & WLan (ethernet and wireless) to two different networks.
    3. I put tplink wifi to client mode and connected as a client to Thomson.
    4. I set up routing: default gateway to thomson's IP.
    5. I loosen firewall rules on tplink to let route packets from lan (ethernet) to wifi.
    And it worked.
    And the bad thing is: it hasn't helped me to get much higher speed. :cry
    20Mb/s and that's all.
    I even put thomson and tplink on the same table (distance 1 meter!) and despite the 100% signal strength and 130Mb/s wifi connection I got 30Mb/s (once 40Mb/s but only once).
    Crap! Crap! Crap! :cry
    Quick thougths:
    1. Thomson is crap. Where is the "N" ????
    2. Wifi wan't work. It's not capable to transmit 52-55 Mb/s (this is my internet speed with ethernet connection).
    3. What next? Bloody cable through my whole apartment?? Some powerline PLC stuff - (net over electric lines)?

Any thoughts?

11. Colemanguy

Colemanguy MajorGeek

Can't really beat fiber/cat6 ethernet for purespeed.

12. handygal

handygal First Sergeant

I'll give a vote for the "powerline stuff" for pure simplicity. I just changed the existing remote module i had from a single ethernet to a wireless module (still has a single ethernet connection too) to give the far end of the house a wired connection to an older desktop and great wireless to everything else on that end, including a blu-ray player that streams Netflix. It is running at 300Mbps. Brand is netgear. Cost was $120. Installation was 45 seconds plus unpackaging time.

Once the two modules connected to themselves, i thought I would have to configure something. I had recently tested a netgear router and forgot that it was still attached -- the modules loved it and configured themselves. I suddenly had a wide-open wireless connection available named Netgear in range. Uh oh, i switched to that and changed it's SSID and encryption -- another 60 seconds while I looked for the password, and I was totally set up with a great connection. I love this technology. I'm about to put several units in one building so I'll report back if that causes any issues. So far, several months, a power outage, bad thunderstorms, and not a problem.

When I first set up the more basic netgear powerline modules, it took 3 minutes and I did exactly zero configuring. One module was installed next to the router, one was plugged into the power outlet at the other end of the house. I waited about 30 seconds for the connection lights to flash, plugged an ethernet cable into the PC at the far side and was instantly online and FLYING!

13. brownizs

brownizs MajorGeek

Bad thing about powerlines, is if you are in a dorm, or apartment building that uses common breaker panels, and everyone in the building is using powerlines, and do not lock them down, same with wifi, you can find open highways, and maybe a few honeypots or two.

14. oen

oen Private E-2

After holidays/long hours of different tries/litres of beer/and lots of different configurations I think that I`ve made a couple of steps further

I`ve changed both router to use the same channels and now I have this:

SecondaryRouter LAN IP Address is: 192.168.0.2
    SecondaryRouter has WBS status: Run

My Secondary LAN Laptop has Static IP: 192.168.0.3 (if I set up to obtain address automatically than it cannot obtain address)
    My Secondary LAN Laptop has Static Default Gateway - but it does not matter (whatever I put here it is not working)

I can Ping from Laptop.192.168.0.3 to SecondaryRouter.192.168.0.2
    I can Ping from PrimaryRouter.192.168.0.1 to www.google.com (First LAN works ok)
    I can Ping from PrimaryRouter.192.168.0.1 to TowerPC.198.168.0.5 (First LAN works ok)
    I can Ping from SecondaryRouter.192.168.0.2 to PrimaryRouter.192.168.0.1 (so wifi bridge somehow works)
    I can Ping from SecondaryRouter.192.168.0.2 to TowerPC.198.168.0.5 <- this is new. that means that SecondaryRouter can ping computers in Primary LAN !!! - new achievment :)

I still cannot Ping from Laptop.192.168.0.3 to PrimaryRouter.192.168.0.1
    I still cannot Ping from Laptop.192.168.0.3 to www.google.com
    I still cannot Ping from Laptop.192.168.0.3 to TowerPC.198.168.0.5
    I still cannot get dynamic ip for Laptop.192.168.0.3 when connected to SecondaryRouter.192.168.0.2 through ethernet cable (dhcp client)

I`ve made a step further.
    I will check this: I will set WAN in SecondaryRouter.192.168.0.2 from "Dynamic IP - not set (WAN port is unplugged)" to "192.168.0.??" <- I havent tried this one yet.

I do not want to load new firmware to secondary router (I`ve read that it can damage router).

If anyone can help please give me advice.

thanks, oen

15. gbg

gbg Private E-2

I have the same problem, but instead of thompson router I have a netgear
    The TP-link is the same (revision 8 - OpenWrt firmware still does not work on it)

Do you solve the problem?
    If yes, can you tell me how you made it?

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds