General games problem

Discussion in 'Software' started by S.Wolf, Jun 28, 2007.

1. S.Wolf

S.Wolf Private E-2

Well i'm using this computer as a temporary one while my usual one is being fixed and I have a very wierd problem while trying to play any games. When loaded the screen has a strange 'fuzzy' overlay on the screen, like the kind of fuzzyness you see in old movies. Then soon after the game crashes. I have tried four games so far, Battlefield 2, Half Life 2, Jedi Knight Academy and GTA: San Andreas.

Battlefield 2 and San Andreas both had the fuzzyness, then after awhile the screen went black, then an evil blue screen with no error message. After about 3 seconds it restarts.

Half Life 2 and Jedi Knight Academy had the fuzzyness aswell, but after the same amount of time the screen literally freezes and I can't do anything, forcing me to hit the reset button.

I thought it would be a driver problem, so I installed the latest drivers and got the same problem. I tried removing everything ATI related then installing them again if they had been messed up somehow and still got the problem. Tried disabling Fast Write as that is apparently a known issue with ATI cards but still got the same problem.

Here are the specs:

Windows XP OS
    Athlon 64 3400+ CPU 2.19GHz
    nVidia nForce3 Chipset
    512mb DDR400 RAM
    128mb ATI Radeon 9600SE AGP

This computer has been able to play Half Life 2 to the end with minor problems quite awhile ago, but since then it has been reformatted a few times and has been left to gather dust.

2. Kazz

Kazz Private E-2

Three things you could try if you havent already:

1. Reduce the AGP setting to 4x in your Bios
    2. In the ATI Catalyst Control Center reduce some of the settings like Atroscopic Filtering etc.
    3. Alter your refresh rate on your monitor.

Definately leave Fast Writes disabled.

3. S.Wolf

S.Wolf Private E-2

Changing the AGP setting to 4x didn't help, the other options were already on the lowest of the low in the Catalyst Control Center and just to make sure I disabled Fast Write in the bios too, but i'm still getting fuzzyness (didn't bother testing for crashes as i'm taking the fuzzyness as a symptom of a screwup).

4. S.Wolf

S.Wolf Private E-2

Just a small update, I tried swapping monitors which DID get rid of the fuzzy overlay that I was getting, but I am still crashing with no error.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds