Complicated Issue

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by reddy123456, Jan 2, 2009.

1. reddy123456

reddy123456 Private E-2

Hello folks,

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I live in a building with lots of apartments. I live on the 4th floor. Right next to my house there is a business that its roof is almost on the same height as my balcony. To make long story short I would like to "give" wireless connection to that business/store. I would like to be able to access MY wireless connection FROM that store which is only 10 feet away. As it is right now I cant because I have a basic netgear router. I thought that I could put an antenna/receiver on the store's roof and connect that antenna (with an ethernet cord) to a wireless router INSIDE the store. Would that work? Also, is there anyway, if I finally set this up, to be able to control that router?(the router in the store) like to put a limit on a bandwidth, to restrict some websites etc etc. I know this sounds a lot complicated and I am not sure if I explained it right. Please let me know if you didnt understand something and I will be more than happy to give further information. ANY ADVISE will be appreciated. Thank you so much

2. cat5e

cat5e MajorGeek

3. PEBKAC

PEBKAC Private First Class

Word to the wise... Before you start sharing your internet connection with the business next door (and potentially the rest of the world by creating a wireless hotspot), I'd recommend checking the terms of use provided by your ISP to make sure you're not violating your service contract. Also, remember that anything anyone does through the connection (referring to illegal activities) will have the IP address of your router stamped on it.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds