So how can start fresh with my old Dell Dimension 4300?

Discussion in 'Software' started by shockt327, Dec 27, 2007.

1. shockt327

shockt327 Private First Class

Here's the situation: Everyone in my family pretty much has their own notebook computers by now. That pretty much leaves the old PC obsolete. However, I obviously don't want to junk the Dell. I still use it fairly often.

My problem it that it is so slow. It has a Intel Pentium 4, 1.50 GHz, and 256 MB of RAM. I know 256 MB of RAM is totally archaic, and I know that I can upgrade to 1Gig if I want to spend around $100. But I'd really like to just start fresh with the computer and erase everything. There are so many useless programs that it's not worth going through individually....and I already have everything I need on my own notebook. There is nothing of value to anyone on that PC so I'd like to get it to just bare bones, only the essential programs - as if it were default.

How do I do this? If I totally erase the C drive will that solve all my problems? Will I have to reinstall Windows (Which I don't know how to do)? What else should I know?

After do all this I'll try to upgrade RAM or other hardware you guys think might help, but I'm obviously not going to pour money into this PC. I just want it to function properly....I don't need it for must else.

2. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

If you have the Dell Recovery Disk that came with the PC, it will put it back to the original state it was in when you purchased it.

3. shockt327

Recovery disk? Is that just the re installation CDs I got for WinXP, drivers, utilities ect? Cause I have everything that Dell originally gave me.

Would I have to reinstall all the drivers if I totally wiped the C drive?

4. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Yes, that would be the right discs

5. shockt327

So what do you suggest I use?

6. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

The operating system disc, should look similar to the one in the first thumbnail and your driver one should look like the second. The other discs should contain applications, which you may or may not want this time around. MG has a great list of freeware, that will probably work better than the Dell suggested stuff.
    If you have a sound card that may be on a separate disc than the other drivers.

If the disc doesn't load up the first time you try, you may have to change your boot options. On a Dell I believe if you push F2 at the first screen after a re-start, that will get you to the set-up. Look for boot options and set your CD_ROM as the first device. then save options and exit. That will make your PC load from the Dell disc.

Attached Files:

7. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

One more thing...neither of those discs contain an AV application, so before re-installing your OS, download one and save the setup file to a disc, so that you can install it, before going on-line for more apps. There are 3 good ones here. (AVG is probably the least resource demanding one, so a good choice for an older slower PC)
    http://majorgeeks.com/page.php?id=20#viruses

8. shockt327

If the Windows Reinstall disk does load up, what di I have to do? Will it reinstall windows automatically, or will I have to program/configure it? If so, is it hard? What should I know?

If it doesn't load automatically, and I do have to change my boot options, what exactly do I have to do? How do I "set" it? Will the CD ROM even work if everything - including drivers - were uninstalled?

BTW - what program do you suggest I use to erase my hard drive?

9. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

It's been a while since I re-installed the OS on my wife's Dell but I believe it will ask you if you want to format (DON"T format it before hand!). There probably is only one partition, if you haven't re-partitioned it. It should be pretty straight forward yes or no questions to get the install going. (I didn't really know what I was doing when I did the wife's re-install and I muddled through it OK) I can't find any instructions on using the disc on the Dell site for some reason.
    To get to the Boot options: Restart your PC, (put your install disk in first) at the first screen, tap F2 until it gets to the setup screen. Use your arrow keys to choose options and find boot sequence. Change it so that the first drive it reads is your CD or DVD_ROM. When you exit, choose the "save changes and exit" option, your PC should restart again and start reading the disc for the install.

Attached Files:

10. shockt327

^^ Thanks, again.:cool

What program should I use to erase my hard drive?

11. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

None, when you get into your install with the Dell Disc, you should get asked if you want to format. That's when you do your format.

12. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

I found these instructions for re-installing XP on a Dell. Using your Installation disc should be very similar. You might want to print this guide.

Step by Step Guide to Reformatting and Installing XP
    1. Insert the XP CD into the cd-rom and reboot
    2. If you insert the XP disc while you are in XP, it will ask you if you want to reformat. Do not choose this option. Make sure to reboot!!! If you do not, it will try to reformat using the HDD for temporary files, and this will cause errors.
    3. Press F12 at the Dell logo to enter the one time boot sequence. Choose CD-Rom; reboot
    4. Welcome Setup Screen ---- press enter to setup Windows XP
    5. License Agreement ---- read if you want (although nobody does). Scroll down to the bottom, and press f8 to accept.
    6. Previous XP detection ---- hit ESC to reformat and have a clean install of XP
    7. Create/Delete & Choose a partition --- Create or delete any partitions (see previous post for more information) If you are unsure about partitioning, select the largest partition. Once you've made your selection, press enter.
    8. Select NTFS or Fat32 ---- generally NTFS is mostly used, although either will work fine. If you would like a quick format, you will want to make choose one of the top 2 choices. Once you have made your decision, press enter
    9. Format --- warning: this will delete all information on selected partition. Verify that you have selected the right partition. If you have the correct partition, press F. If not, press esc to go back to step 5.
    10. Setup and Reboot --- does not require any user action. Leave CD in the drive after reboot.
    11. XP Setup --- some questions will be asked (some of these might not apply depending on if you are installing Home or Pro edition)
      1. Regional & Language Options --- select language (default: English)
      2. Name --- enter your name (company: optional)
      3. Enter CD Key ---You should not be asked for a key as long as the disc is from the same Dell it was meant for.
      4. Computer Name & Admin Password --- enter the name that you would like your laptop to be known as. Enter an admin password (can be left blank but for security reasons this is not the best option). Make sure to write down or have some way of remembering your admin password.
      5. Date & Time Settings --- set the time & date to your local time
      6. Network Setup --- if you are on a home network, use this setup to configure your laptop to connect to your home network. Otherwise, skip and go to the next step
    12. During the setup process, it will say that it is installing applications takes about 30 minutes. These applications are standard XP applications -- not junkware.
    13. Once the installation and format is complete, it will reboot and take you to the Welcome XP Screen which will ask you if you want to register with Microsoft or create any additional screen names.
    What to do after the Installation of XP
    1. Install the drivers
      1. The first driver you should install is the Chipset driver. After that install the remaining drivers.
      2. If you only downloaded your networking driver, you'll need to install this first, followed by the Notebook System Software, Chipset, and then the remaining drivers
    2. Run Windows Update and download/install current updates
    3. Check the device manager (Right click on "My Computer" --> Properties-->Hardware Tab--> Device manager) and make sure that all devices have a matching driver. If any device has a yellow checkmark, then it does not have a driver. If you are missing any just post back here with the info.
    4. Install any additional software that you want

13. shockt327

Oh so windows will permanently erase my hard-drive when I reinstall? I was looking at stuff like Darik's Boot and Nuke, to make sure everything is properly wiped clean to ensure maximum performance - and safety (I'm sure there are a ton of viruses/spyware on there). Or is Darik's (and similar programs) used for something different...or is it just overkill?

http://www.majorgeeks.com/Dariks_Boot_and_Nuke_d4596.html

14. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Yes, the install disk will format your drive, IF you make sure to tell it to.
    It looks like the Darik's app will format your hard drive.... I just don't know enough about formating a drive and then installing a new OS. I don't know if you would be able to use the CD-ROM drive after the format or if the DOS would take over to begin the install.
    I do know that the format can be done through the installation disk, without any trouble or risk.

15. shockt327

That's exactly what I was worried about....so I just use the windows disk and follow the instruction you provided. thanks.:)

16. shockt327

Ok, I finally got around to doing this. I'm up to this step...
    Everything seems to be running just fine. I have Internet access, WMP, etc. So why am I installing additional drivers? What is the "chipset driver," and why am I installing it? Or did it already automatically install? [/confused]:confused

BTW - My PC is running much smoother now. Really great instructions, so thank you. :)

The only problem is trying to install windows service pack 2. I've gone to Microsoft Update and turned on the automatic updates, but it's not downloading service pack 2.

17. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

I recommend going to Windows Update yourself, since it will usually only check for updates once a DAY, and updating. With a new install of XP (without SP2), you're going to have to update, restart, update, restart, etc. a LOT before you even get to downloading and installing SP2... so if you wait for automatic updates to get around to it, you could be waiting for weeks.

18. shockt327

Cool. I'm downloading SP2 right now.

I couldn't install a firewall without SP2. So when I went online to microsoft.com, did I just expose myself to all sorts of viruses/spyware/malware etc???

19. mcsmc

mcsmc MajorGeek

As long as you're ONLY on the Windows Update part of the site, you should be safe.

20. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Windows Firewall should also have been set as default firewall, when you installed XP.

21. shockt327

In case I have to do this again, is there any way I can make a disc that will automatically install all the programs I want? That way I won't have to go online an reinstall firefox, itunes, power dvd, etc, one by one?

22. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

Haven't heard of an app that does that.
    You could download all the app setups and burn them to a disc, but you would have to manually install them from the disc.

23. shockt327

BTW - what were those other drivers (like the chipset driver) that I was supposed to install?

24. musksnipe

musksnipe Guest

If you have all the discs that came with your PC, there will be one that contains your drivers. It's the Dell Resource one.
    Or you can go to Dell and input your tag number (they can scan your PC, if you don't know it) and they will tell you everything that was on your PC when it left the factory.
    http://support.dell.com/support/index.aspx?c=us&cs=19&l=en&s=dhs&~ck=mn&ST=dell%20support&dgc=ST&cid=14142&lid=357460
    Click "Search for drivers"

If you wanted a list of driver types:
    Chipset
    Audio
    Video
    Network
    IDE Controllers
    SATA Drives
    That is a general list but you should have most of those.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds