sony viao network issues

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by sandi_sully, Jan 22, 2009.

1. sandi_sully

sandi_sully Private E-2

I have a fairly new vaio laptop, I use an AT&T USB wireless adapter for my internet as I move around this comes with AT&T connection manager. I have had probs with my networking from the beginning, I dont know if I have changed settings for my adapters or the AT&TCM is doing something. We recently got a HP wireless printer and after many long hours installing boring drivers and software, I find that I can connect to the network but cannot find the printer. I see myself in the network but nothing else. I have tried to find settings and check them against the HP's requirements but seem to be going around in circles. need help making sure my network settings are correct. OH yeah btw I have vista :cry (didn't like xp that much but understand it more than this sh*t) ty

2. wbrassette

wbrassette Private E-2

Do you know how to print a configuration page for your printer?

You need to get the IP address from the printer. What kind of printer do you have?

Once you have the IP address, you can test the communication from your PC to the printer.

Are other PC's able to print to the HP via wireless networking? Is the device also plugged into another computer via USB?

3. sandi_sully

sandi_sully Private E-2

no I don't know how to print a config page
    2 other laptops connected no probs
    shouldn't the IP address be found automatically? the other pc's did
    printer installed just fine via the USB connection on my laptop no one else was using the printer at the time that I was trying the network connection.

Previously I tried to connect to my XBox and although I could see it in networking I couldn't access it, also as I was playing around with the settings, it got all messed up and I had to delete all adapters as well as AT&TCM because I couldn't connect to anything.

4. wbrassette

wbrassette Private E-2

What kind of printer is it? There is usually a way to print a configuration page from the control panel on the printer but since I don't know what model, I can't be of much help.

The HP software is a little tricky. It does a whole lot more than it says during the install.

By connecting the printer via USB and installing the driver, you may have set the communication between the PC and the printer by wire (instead of wireless). You might want to remove anything HP printer related on your PC, disconnect the HP printer from the USB port and install using the media provided with your printer.

I don't think you issue is with networking. If you and the other computers can all get on the Internet and 2 of the 3 can print wireless to the HP, the issue is with the configuration of the printer on your PC.

5. wbrassette

wbrassette Private E-2

oops, forgot to mention: If you reinstall the HP software to configure the printer as a network printer on your machine, don't use the USB cable.

6. sandi_sully

sandi_sully Private E-2

ok will try that 2moro, thank you for your help.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds