16,low cash, need upgrade. Help please!

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by ki9090, Feb 20, 2005.

1. ki9090

ki9090 Private E-2

Hi all. Im 16 and am low on cash, usually my pearents buy the family Pc but their has been many things getting in the way of a long awaited new PC (relative with cancer, some car brake downs, buying a new car, ect ect.) My comp that im on know is really old but is not the problem.

My dad got for free from work a Compaq Armada m700, now its not to bad for an old rig (64mb ram, 650mhz) but i got some questions i could not find anywhere on the net.

First i wan this thing in shape for playing some games (not doom 3 or halflife 2) im talking Age of Empires 2, Quake 3 arena, Original Unreal Tournament and some downlaoded online games (freeware). So most of my games have a min requirement of 500mhz 128 ram lets say.

Now first i know this comp can get sup to 512mb of ram but it SDRAM 100mhz, my question is how this be in a game, will that 512 ram be slow and more like 256 ram or what? Whats the deal between SD and DDR and 100mhz and p100 ect.

Second and last is i have no idea if i can upgrade the Video card in here, im not talking huge maybe like a 32mb card Geforce 2 or some thing of the like, would it be possible? I not sure but i think it only has an AGP 2x slot not to sure on that though

Thanks alot guys for the help, one day (maybe when i get a job, to busy with school now) i can afford to get them nice 3000 dollar rigs but you gotta start some where.

Thanks for the help in advance.

2. scorcer

scorcer ajMro keGe

3. ki9090

ki9090 Private E-2

thanks for the reply, so you think 1 ghz and 512 ram will be good for games like age of empires/mythology, enemy terrirtory quake 3 arena and original unreal (my doubt was casue of the 100mhz speed that the 512mb ram would not be good enough).

Damn i really need like a 32mb graphics card in their, their must be a way for me to get one in their (at least a 16mb one) so i can play diablo 2 quake 3 and my beloved Age of X series.

You this help in my search of a graphics card???
    http://www.pangolin.com/LD2000/dock/compaq.htm
    Its a docking bay that has 3 PCI slots, could those slots be used for a graphics card?

So could i potentially spend like 250 bucks to get this laptop i got for free up to 1ghz,512mb ram, with a second hardrive hook up to a large monitor and a 32mb 3d card? It does not sound all that bad for a quick job (not to mention for 250 bucks to hold me over till i can get a new comp) And can do just well with those stats playing game like quake 3, AOE2,AOM, Diablo 2, war craft 3, Enemy terrirtoy?

4. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Remember the response time on laptop screens is slow especially old ones, when playing a fast game of quake the screen will look blurred,see if you can try out someone elses first before spending your money also laptops are worth alot more than there desktop equivalent,you might be better off selling it and building youself a new rig and putting the money towards that, :p if your dad says theres nothing wrong with it tell him it wont run a program for school.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds