e-mail headers

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by mcpp66, Apr 17, 2005.

1. mcpp66

mcpp66 Private E-2

A while back a friend of mine was receiving very vulgar and harassing e-mails. I obtained the source e-mail address from the message headers but was not able to do much else. How would I go about learning the owner (ISP) of the source IP address and its location? Thanks.

2. CaffeinatedBrew

CaffeinatedBrew Private E-2

It would be better if you had the IP address from the originating site, however, you can go to http://www.arin.net/ and search on the domain name to see who the administrative contact is for the domain.

If you had the specific IP and the time the e-mail was sent, then the admin would be able to identify the computer that sent the e-mail, as well as using the account name.

This is all predicated upon the assumption that both the account e-mail address, and IP addresses are both valid. If they are spoofed, you have more work to do.

Good Luck!
    :)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds