how to make Zonalarm open with IE

Discussion in 'Software' started by Ecin, Oct 16, 2003.

1. Ecin

Ecin Private First Class

Sometimes when I browse the web I open IE and forget to open ZoneAlarm and catch myself surfing without a firewall... is ther any way to open ZoneAlarm automatically when I open Internet Explorer?

2. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Hmmm.

Sure, write a batch file to do both.

Should be easy enough.

Let me know if you need help.

3. Ecin

Ecin Private First Class

please advise me how to write the batch file and place an icon on the desktop.. thank you very much!

4. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Ok...

Its going to go something like this.

cmd.exe /c
    "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"|"path to executable for zone alarm executable"

Save this to IEZ.bat, or whatever name you want.

Then double click to execute.

The cmd prompt closes when the apps do.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 16, 2003
  5. exeter_acres

exeter_acres Sergeant

What kind of connection do you use?
    Why do you shut your firewall down?

6. Major Attitude

Major Attitude Co-Owner MajorGeeks.Com Staff Member

Zone Alarm should start by default with windows, if not I would add it into your startup.

7. Coco

Coco Sergeant Major

Like everyone said why are you closing your firewall? If you are running a firewall you got to run it all the time. You are at just as much risk when using IE as you are when not using IE. So running it only while browsing isn't a very good idea.

8. Ecin

Ecin Private First Class

I use DSL but my connection requires a user name and pasword to login , i don't think I am connected all the time.

9. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

you may as well be connected all the time really, since its DSL, but hey...

10. DavidGP

DavidGP MajorGeeks Forum Administrator - Grand Pooh-Bah Staff Member

Even if your DSL is the PPPoA... variety that your ISP has you use User/Pass.. it is always advisable to have your firewall running at startup as you will be suprised which programs want access to the net... this way you even if your not online you can see what asks for access at all times.

To set ZA to run at startup... open the program the goto > Overview > Preferences > tick "Load Zone Alarm with Web Filtering at Startup" ( dependant on version but definatly Load Zone Alarm at Startup )

you should then at reboot see ZA startup it will be in your sys tray.

11. Ecin

Ecin Private First Class

I tested it and left my computer offline for 3 hours and left zone alarm running. I had 0 Intrusions added to my total in the 3 hours.. I really don't think I need ZoneAlarm running if I am not connected...i still haven't figured out how to make that batch file though.. whenever I run it, it just goes to command prompt and sits there.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2003
  12. Ecin

Ecin Private First Class

OK you guys have convinced me to have ZA in my startup, but can you please explian to me how someone could hack my computer if I am not connected to the internet? Yes my DSL uses PPPoA connection so it seems like if I am disconnected from the internet I am safe.. or am I being naive?

13. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

what is PPPoA?

Do you mean PPPoE?

If you arent connected to the net, you won't be hacked.

14. darkhorizon

darkhorizon Private First Class

yeah you won't be hacked but it's better to have it open all the time so when you are connected it is running, then to forget to turn it on and be left open on the net. do you only connect to the internet when you open internet explorer? if you have a DSL connection why don't you just always leave it on?

15. goldfish

goldfish Lt. Sushi.DC

exactly what i was thinking. you might not be able to get hacked while youre not online, but a trojan might try to get out while youre offline (thus it reveals itself).

If you want the speed, then you could probably just shut down ZoneAlarm when you want the speed (e.g. when playing a single player game or somthing like that)

16. DavidGP

I never said anyone would get hacked while not online or to that end its very unlikely you will be hacked anyway while online anyway ( unless you piss someone off that knows what their doing ) :)

BUT as Goldy has noticed.... even when not online you still get to see what programs ask for NET access thus... forwarned is forarmed ( Apps that install Dial-Home or Spyware...or even the nice blaster would have sent a flag up )

and YES I do mean PPPoA... Point to Point Protocol over ATM is a common UK/European way of access DSL, primarily as ISPs give out USB DSL modems a-la Acatel Speedtouch....

17. Adrynalyne

Adrynalyne Guest

Ah ok, not aware of any ISP that uses PPPoA here.

18. Ecin

Ecin Private First Class

does running Zone Alarm in the background while playing games have an effect in performance?

Last edited: Oct 17, 2003
  19. DavidGP

anything running in the background will have a hit on game performance to a point........ its easier to turn it off from the taskbar if playing games offline than it is to remember to turn it on when going on line?

I have just been playing HALO and didnt notice any ill effects... apart from a few dead aliens ;)

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds