Random Question.

Discussion in 'Hardware' started by Spock96, Jan 15, 2012.

1. Spock96

Spock96 Major Geek 'Spocky'

hey Guys,
    So, I got this machine to run as a spare from my school(they were getting rid of them.) It's going to( and I know it can) run XP. Now, the DVD Drive I am 90% sure died and I stripped an older rig to get rid of and it has a DVD Drive in it. Both are IDE drives. Can I use the one that works in the one that don't??
    Kinda a noob-ish question, but just wanted to check.
    Thanks,
    Spock96

2. Mimsy

Mimsy Superior Imperial Queen of the MG Games Forum

If they're both IDE, then you should be able to just move the drive over. After connecting, you can either look for the drive in BIOS to make sure the motherboard recognizes it properly, or just go straight to Windows and look for it there.

3. Spock96

Haven't put Windows on it yet, we D-Banned them and the DVD Drive I threw in it didn't work so I'd have to check BIOS. Thanks Mimsy.

4. Rikky

Rikky Wile E. Coyote - One of a kind

Older drives sometimes need the master slave jumper on the back set to master and connected on its own IDE cable before it will recognise a windows disk and install windows.

http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf-JAVA/Doc/images/c00366457.jpg

'M' is the master jumper position.

5. snipermike

snipermike Private E-2

is that computer that from school.

6. Spock96

Yeah mike it is. I got a DVD Drive(that I know works) outta one I had that ran 98. Just need time to put it in.

7. snipermike

snipermike Private E-2

hit it with a BFH

"BIG f### HAMMER" lol.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds