tech support

Discussion in 'Majorgeeks Welcome Center' started by stuck on page, Nov 5, 2007.

1. stuck on page

stuck on page Private E-2

I'm a bit of a technophobe. Please help.
    My MS I.E. page loads are pathetically slow. I don't know if it is ISP DSL performance (page loads are SLOW in weekday afternoons and evenings, but reasonable on weekends and mornings). Or if it is my 9 year old PC with limited processing speed and small RAM (when something runs in background ...like Spy Sweeper program definition updates...any operation slows to a crawl). Is there a way to test which of the 2 possibilites is the root cause? Is there a 3rd possibility?

2. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Hi and welcome :)

The slowdown could be any or all of the things you mentioned. It's sounds like if you are getting better performance in the morning and weekends when usage for your dsl is probably typically down, your service has something to do with it.

Your RAM could have a lot to do with it also, especially if you've never upgraded in all the 9 years. If you have apps open while trying to go online, that would cause slowdown.

I would suggest going through this thread: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/showthread.php?t=106650

Particularly take a look at what you have in your start up when you boot up. You may have a lot of processes running you don't need. Whenever you load software, they like to suggest that they start up with your computer and people don't know that they don't need them to.

Also, what security are you using other than your spysweeper? If you use one of the biggies like Norton or Mcaffee, they are huge huge resource hogs and are typically not suggested by most on this board.

You can check your download and upload speeds online also. I've used this one: http://www.bandwidth.com/tools/speedTest

Good luck

3. ItsWendy

ItsWendy MajorGeek

Welcome aboard, we are all volunteers here but everyone is usually willing to help to their best.

The best area to ask this kind of question would likely be the software forum, just state what you've mentioned here (that you are new to computers) and you'll find people willing to stick with it and explain as we go.

4. shanemail

shanemail Fold On

Welcome to Major Geeks :major

5. wildwolf220

wildwolf220 Oracle of Doom

:wave and welcome to MG's..

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds