Google Chrome Web Browser

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Oooops!, Sep 2, 2008.

1. Oooops!

Oooops! MajorGeek

2. LauraR

LauraR MajorGeeks Super-Duper Administrator Staff Member

Interesting. I wonder how it will compare to FF, etc.

They'll probably try to load crap on your computer like Google desktop and stuff. Hopefully, that won't be the case.

3. augiedoggie

augiedoggie The Canadian Loon - LocoAugie (R.I.P. 2012)

Well, supposed to be today according to Google. Screenshots from PCWorld

4. BoredOutOfMyMind

BoredOutOfMyMind Picabo, ICU

FF with no plugins.

The ads are all back.

It does load faster.... yawn.

5. evilfantasy

evilfantasy Malware Fighter

It is pretty basic but surely that will change in the future and has all of the basics now, popup blocker, phishing and malware protection, cookie handling, password manager, spell checker....

As many Google services as I use now if it get's near what Firefox is now then I might be switching. But not yet...

Also hosted at MG's Google Chrome 0.2.149.27 Beta

Nope. It did add the Google Updater to the startup and as a service though. It doesn't even make itself the default browser.

6. bigbazza

bigbazza R.I.P. 14/12/2011 - Good Onya Geek

Last edited: Sep 2, 2008
  7. Amethyst_08

Amethyst_08 Corporal

I would be interested in more feedback about this new browser. Is it stable? Can it run videos? Java? How do the web pages load and display?

8. Doc13%

Doc13% aka Kestrel13! aka Emms

http://www.google.com/googlebooks/chrome/index.html link Augie provided gives details as well as this little "comic strip" :-D

9. BoredOutOfMyMind

So far (about 80 pages viewed ) no slowdown at all.

It has tabs at the top like IE7 and this random video played.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VHZgtHLXSFM

10. Amethyst_08

Amethyst_08 Corporal

Thanks Doc & Bored...

That video made me laugh.:-D

I think I'll give the new browser a try. I don't usually touch beta progams, but if this one doesn't cause any problems with other programs, it should be OK.

Oh, I know what I was going to ask. Is there any means of getting support for the browser? Anywhere to ask questions or notify about problems?

11. Amethyst_08

Amethyst_08 Corporal

I just got to the 'accept and install' page. I merely wanted to download it right now, not necessarily install it right away. Actually, I do not run programs directly from the internet, I download, scan, and then install.

So I didn't get any further than that page. If I had clicked on the accept part, would it have downloaded an .exe to install, or does it install directly from the download page?

BTW, how big is this program, how many MB's to download? With my ISP, there are bandwidth restrictions at certain times of the day, so one wouldn't want to do any big downloads during prime usage times. Or ya get throttled back to dialup for about an hour or so, then it bounces back but you have to stay totally off the internet for that hour.

12. Amethyst_08

Amethyst_08 Corporal

And...would it import the bookmarks and passwords from Opera? My IE is not up to date in that regard, since I seldom use it, and I don't have FF on this computer.

13. gimpster123

gimpster123 Bring out the Gimp.

it downloads an .exe- which you have to open to install. AFAIK it only imports from IE and FF. I'm posting using chrome right now- it imported all my bookmarks as well as saved passwords etc... Now I'm off to continue testing it...

14. hawklord

hawklord Master Sergeant

just downloaded this and found its not compatable with windows 2000,
    so i'll give this one a miss as i run w2k,

maybe someone could update the download page as it says it runs on w2k

15. Amethyst_08

Amethyst_08 Corporal

Just downloaded the .exe. I was surprised by the size of the file, only 474kb...I have a Firefox .exe sitting in a folder on this laptop (not installed) that is 5.8 Mb in size.

That's rather odd, but I'll maybe dig in later on this evening and see how it goes. :)

But that'll involve some re configuring bookmarks and stuff. It looks like the only thing I can do is import my stuff into IE and then Chrome should be able to get it from there.

16. oma

oma MajorGeek

17. BoredOutOfMyMind

Why Google Chrome? Fast browsing = $$$

18. BoredOutOfMyMind

Within XP with a single user-

My Application Data/Chrome is 80.4 Meg

My Application Data/Mozilla is 92.7 meg

I will test it in Linux next week when I am back home.

19. Amethyst_08

Amethyst_08 Corporal

What was the size of the chrome .exe file that you downloaded? I've tried through Opera and IE, and I get a 474 kb file, which doesn't seem right somehow.

I'm browsing the help group for google, and some people are saying they try to run this and nothing happens, like that's a dummy file or something.

20. evilfantasy

evilfantasy Malware Fighter

21. Amethyst_08

Amethyst_08 Corporal

Wow, you know I've been reading the google forums. Lots of problems going on with this browser. Of course I realize that most people who are writing in are doing so because they're having a problem. But I think maybe I'll hold off on installing this for a wee while, give the google folks some time to work out a few bugs.

If I want something a bit different, I can always change the skin on my opera browser. ;) (I just don't enjoy fighting with computers!)

You can check it out at groups.google.com.

22. BoredOutOfMyMind

The 474 kb file is an installer like those in Google Pack.
    Or like Adobe....

Not uncommon to use the web for installation.

23. LauraR

I don't like the updater. It is constantly connecting to the internet. I haven't found a way to stop it.

24. pondhopper

pondhopper Private E-2

^ I didn't like the Updater, either (esp., being on dial-up). And it didn't come out with my uninstall, yesterday. So, I did a computer wide file search using the word "google" & manually deleted those items. When, I went into "control panel" to do the initial uninstall the size on my PC was over 45megs. Not bad for a 1st release, though.

25. Senlis

Senlis Staff Sergeant

Google claims that if one of your tabs crashes, it won't take down your entire browser. That has to be the most attractive thing about this browser, tho I think some other browsers have it too. Pretty impressive for a beta release, it wouldn't work on netvibes.com tho

26. bigbazza

27. Horsey

Horsey Sergeant

Sounds to me like it might not be an updater at all, and more of a "reporter".

28. LauraR

That's why I haven't been using it.

I'm thinking I'll be uninstalling it.

29. LauraR

I uninstalled Chrome.

It's interesting how it conveniently does Not uninstall the updater.rolleyes

I don't mind having a program check for updates when I open the program itself, but to install a seperate updater that accesses the internet on it's on on a regular basis is more than suspect to me.

Not only that, I can't seem to get rid of it.

30. BILLMCC66

BILLMCC66 Bionic Belgian

31. shinnok

shinnok Private E-2

I've been trying it out on a test Vista at work. It runs faster than Firefox with slightly less processor use. It's visibly different, too, as the pictures in, for example CNN, are immediately bigger. Scrolling is very smooth. The best thing that will come of it is it will make the other browsers even better, just as Firefox has forced an improvement in IE.

32. scottshad

scottshad Private First Class

I downloaded it, and found it to be fast when connecting to sites or going from page to page. I found some of the help areas incomplete, and some of the help issues confusing, but i am computer illiterate anyway....I uninstalled it only beecause it was beta, as soon as it comes out when it is finished, i will give it another shot.................
    scott

33. bigbazza

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds