interactive logon process initialization has failed

Discussion in 'Software' started by axnxn, Jun 21, 2011.

1. axnxn

axnxn Private E-2

While I'm happily working with Kestrel13 to fix my laptop in another forum here, my home computer (Vista) stopped booting with the following error:

Interactive logon process initialization has failed.

After a bunch of searching, I found a "solution" that involved booting with Knoppix, copying the Application event log, viewing it on another Vista machine, identifying the broken .manifest file, copying it over, etc.

Sounded simple-ish--and I got as far as viewing the Application event log, but it's not really obvious which file is corrupted.

And of course I can find *every* installation disk for every computer I've ever owned practically -- they're all in the "safe place" -- except this one.

But maybe there's another way?
    Any ideas?

thank you!

2. iain.t

iain.t MajorGeek

Do you get the same issue whilst in safemode (f8 at boot) if you can get into safemode with out any issues try doing a system restore.
    If you are still having difficulty then you will need to beg/steal or borrow the same vista version OS install disc as to what is installed on your machine.
    Or someone else may jump in and offer some better inf and fixes for this issue.

iain.t :major

3. axnxn

axnxn Private E-2

Unfortunately, I can't boot into Safe Mode (or any mode for that matter).

I've run all of the Vista repair tests available and none of them are helping, including System Restore (it failed).

I have a Vista 32-bit install disk from a computer at work, but the computer with the problem (at home) is a 64-bit. Anyone know what will happen if I use the 32-bit?

4. thisisu

thisisu Malware Consultant

Well, you won't be able to use the recovery mode options with the different versions. It will give you an error that the disk in the drive is incompatible.

Are you referring to the Startup Repair boot option from the advanced boot menu?

5. thisisu

Just a guess.. if you had malware.. a lot of the time, they target files such as winlogon.exe and userinit.exe. This is what that error may be suggesting, at least at first glance it reminds me of those files.

6. thisisu

Typical files targeted for infection seem to be winlogon.exe, userinit.exe, csrss.exe, spoolsv.exe, explorer.exe, lsass.exe, services.exe

I think if you were to replace all of those with clean copies from a vista x64 disc, should help out.

i got a vista x64 disc handy. I'll upload for you in a sec.

All of them belong in the c:\windows\system32 folder EXCEPT explorer.exe, which belongs in c:\windows

All these files were gathered from a Vista SP2 X64 Disc.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 21, 2011
  7. axnxn

axnxn Private E-2

Thanks very much for all of your help --

I ended up doing a re-install using Dell's DataSafe program. Fortunately the majority of the personal files were backed up -- my son's need to finish his finals trumped my desire to untangle the mess.

I've also ordered a reinstallation disc from Dell so I have it on hand in the future.

I really appreciate your efforts on this.
    best
    ann

8. Princewes

Princewes Private E-2

I desperately nid asistance on this logon initialization problem plus my disc drive dont work and i av tried al posible restore option, stil no iminent progressive report, i would apreciate anyone who wuld gv me an idea on the factor reset option.

9. Princewes

Princewes Private E-2

I desperately nid asistance on this logon initialization problem plus my disc drive dont work and i av tried al posible restore option, stil no iminent progressive report, i would apreciate anyone who wuld gv me an idea on the factory reset option.

10. plodr

plodr Major Geek Super Extraordinaire

Princewes, welcome to MajorGeeks. You need to start your own problem thread, not tack your problem on to another's thread.
    Start here: http://forums.majorgeeks.com/forumdisplay.php?f=21
    click the New Thread button near the top left.

You also need to mention what version of windows you are running and the brand and model of computer.

MajorGeeks.Com Menu

Downloads All In One Tweaks \ Android \ Anti-Malware \ Anti-Virus \ Appearance \ Backup \ Browsers \ CD\DVD\Blu-Ray \ Covert Ops \ Drive Utilities \ Drivers \ Graphics \ Internet Tools \ Multimedia \ Networking \ Office Tools \ PC Games \ System Tools \ Mac/Apple/Ipad Downloads

Other News: Top Downloads \ News (Tech) \ Off Base (Other Websites News) \ Way Off Base (Offbeat Stories and Pics)

Social: Facebook \ YouTube \ Twitter \ Tumblr \ Pintrest \ RSS Feeds